Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does gain booast increase of decrease the unity GBW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usman Hai

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
I am designing a telescopic opamp. I achieved all the specs but not gain, so my question is whether gain boosting increase or decrease the unity Gain bandwidth? how it affects the phase margin.
Thanks

The unity gain bandwidth is Gm.effective/C. Thus, if you increase the gain by increasing Gm, then the BW will increase as well (assuming C remains the same). The phase margin is only depending on the second pole location and the unity gain bw assuming second pole is outside the unity gain bw.

Gain boosting won't change bandwidth.
If the additional pole of gain boosting loop is outside the bandwidth, phase margin won't be affected.

Gain boosting does not changes (at least to a first order) the "gain bandwiwth product". This is because normally Gm is not changes while the output gd is reduced.

To a second order analysis, gain boosting introduces some extra poles and zeros that could reduce a little the unity gain frequency.

Be careful about the effect of doublets which will have an impact on the settling time. For more details, please refer to "A Fast-Settling CMOS Op Amp for SC. Circuits with 90-dB DC Gain by Bult"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back