Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Direct ignition coil as a "safe" HV generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I would like to know some things about direct ignition coils as a means to safely generate HV for some HV projects experiments.

1. These have 4 pins, what are the pins connections and voltages that must apply to them?
2. I think they generate AC, how can I get DC out of them?
3. I believe they generate more than 20KV, is there any way to limit this voltage, so I can make a variable HV PSU?
4. Any idea about the current they can supply?

1. The four pins are the high and low voltage terminals of the step-up transformer. (Often there are only 3 pins, one being common)
2. To reduce the output voltage, use an external shunt capacitor. (For a rough idea, the internal capacitor is about a micro farad)
3. To obtain DC, short the internal capacitor externally and use the device in the fly-back mode. (Current limiting resistor will be required in series with the secondary)

1. "1. These have 4 pins, " , The standard ignition coil has two terminals and the EHT connector, the terminals are labelled + and -, the can must be earthed. Any other transformer is a manufacturers specific, and might work at any voltage, i.e. capacitor discharge.
2. You can not get DC out of them, you must use a EHT diode to rectify the output (steal one from a scrapped CRT television - they are good for 8KV).
3. To reduce the output , you must reduce the input voltage. A lot of ignition coils have 6V input. This is so when the car is started on a cold day, there is more then enough voltage for a good spark, when the ignition key is released from the "start" position to the run position, a resistor is put in the 12V feed so the coil and points only get 6V. These coils take about 4A.
4. What current?, I would have though that they can deliver a steady 20 Watts, so that will be several milliamps. Its hard to say as they could deliver 20 KV, but typically the spark would occur at 7 KV, so after this voltage they are operating into a short circuit (or 22K if the spark plugs have suppressors in their leads). The current would be limited by the inductance of the secondary and primary.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.