Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diode-rectifier circuit problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimitris Malamas

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i'm trying to construct half-rectifier circuit, Vin(rms)=220V, i'm using 1N4001 diode. The circuit in Multisim working well, but i am not sure about "Reverse Voltage", Datasheet says "VRRM-VRWM-VR 50V", but i do not know what exactly means that. Could someone helps me? If i use this diode, the circuit will work ok?
Thank you.

No, the diode will fail.

The parameter you need to observe is 'PIV' or Peak Inverse Voltage.

The 220V RMS will be swinging between about +250V and -250V at it's peaks. If the rectifier is driving a load that does not store any voltage you need diodes rated at a minimum of 250V. If the rectifier has storage after it, for example a capacitor, it will charge to +250V and then as the AC changes polarity and reaches -250V you will have 500V accross the diode and it would have to be rated at a minimum of 500V. Those are minimum voltages, to cater for natural variation of the 220V and interference spikes you need diodes rated for somewhat higher voltages. In your case you need at least 1N4005 (600V PIV) and preferably 1N4007 (1000V PIV) to add a safety margin.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.