Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Camera not working as sea water spilled

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtcx

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,

My digital camera from Samsung recently got repaired when we were playing near the sea shore when a big wave hit us. Looked like few drops of water spilled. I removed the batteries and tried cleaning on top. Then I cleaned battery terminals and memory card. Later when i turned on again, it said memory card error. I then removed it. once again I turned on and for some 3 mins it was doing good with internet memory. Then a bright white screen displayed and no buttons responded and then the camera was dead. Nothing ever improved next. What shall I do?. It has been about a month now. The water could have now rusted the boards?. Will the service centre of Samsung accept it?. It has 8 months warranty.

Any tips?.

I'm afraid that solt water is the worst for electronic in combination of power supply. You should not connect the power supply until you open the camera, you clean the boards into 95% alcohol and you dry everything. Unfortunately because of the cappiliar effects the water can penetrate in small places and it's hard to be removed from there. I would recommend you to bring the camera in the service but you have small chances to get it working as before.

first go to service centre of Samsung. if they not accept in warranty. then you have to try your self open and clean as luben111 say. and dry pcb with hot air tool or hair dryer with care. also check -clean all socket and flex belt.then chek voltage battery path for short circuit. if there no any short circuit then try to power on with fully charged battery. do not try to charge battery with this camera. to prevent more damadge.

wbr

there is no way they accept the warranty - solt water is not covered by waranty claims, this is just not a manufacturing problem. Waranty covers only failures which are caused by manufacturing problems. Even if they collect the camera once they open it they will immediately inform you that it's out of waranty

there is no way they accept the warranty - solt water is not covered by waranty claims, this is just not a manufacturing problem. Waranty covers only failures which are caused by manufacturing problems. Even if they collect the camera once they open it they will immediately inform you that it's out of waranty

Well, it is not completely dropped into salt water, but possibly the wave when hit me harder, I dropped the bag with camera(though camera was inside the camera pouch). And my *** :sad:, if it does not cover warranty, then what am I gonna do?. And it has been over a month and how can it be still wet?. Whats the benefit of opening and cleaning now?.

Thanks

Well, when you buy the camera you can extend the warranty for cases like your and until you didn't break it intentionally they will repair it. The extended garantee is usually about 10-15% from the whole value.

If you removed the battery immediately after the water was spilled you can open the camera and clean the boards (in pure alcohol) and there is big chance you can get them running. But if there was power for more than 2 to 5 minutes with the solty water inside I'm afraid things become really serious.

Probably you need to accept the idea that the camera is lost, now you can work hard and get a new one

Reactions: xtcx

xtcx

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Well, when you buy the camera you can extend the warranty for cases like your and until you didn't break it intentionally they will repair it. The extended garantee is usually about 10-15% from the whole value.

If you removed the battery immediately after the water was spilled you can open the camera and clean the boards (in pure alcohol) and there is big chance you can get them running. But if there was power for more than 2 to 5 minutes with the solty water inside I'm afraid things become really serious.

Probably you need to accept the idea that the camera is lost, now you can work hard and get a new one

Sounds a horrible news....hard to digest, :cry: but looks like no other go. I'd be more careful next time when I get close to the sea or salt water...

Thanks luben

a good advice. Until you're hanging around this forum it means that you're interested in technique. The reality is that the repair will cost 30-40% from the camera value, the chance for the camera to start working alone is minimal and to get waranty cover is also doubtful . So you can open it and learn many things , you can also try to clean it in alcohol and dry it (and there is small chance it will start working). I meant - instead of throwing it away use it for learning purposes. Turn the demerit into merit

Now you have nothing to loose, just open the camera systematically, normal star screw driver should do the job.

And put the board into a bowl of 99% alcohol to help absorb the impurities of water out. Then get a strong brissel toothbrush and scrub the board with the alcohol.
Leave it for 1 day to dry naturally once more - then fingers cross it may work. Shouldnt cost you anything to try.

:grin:

Thanks friends, but though little nervous, but very interested. But for the sake of assurance, I shall go check with the Samsung service centre and see if they can repair at low cost or not. In that case, I shall follow what you people say. However I would like to state unknown in the column for reason for repair, so I shall let that guy find the issue. Chances are that I can have it repaired for free if they don't notice about salt-water :)

Will keep posted once i get in touch..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back