Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MDO4104-6 Front Panel Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebot5

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

My front panel PCB on my MDO4104-6 scope was not responding to push button presses nor knob turns. My oscilloscope automatically was powering up when AC power was applied. The oscilloscope does boot up and channel 1 does appear. However, I can't adjust settings due to the front panel not working. Some of the front panel LEDs were on at random boot times. I can connect to the oscilloscope through OpenChoice with no issues. I've tried updating the firmware to the 3.18 version (last version to be made) but the front panel was still not functioning. I then ordered a replacement microcontroller for the front panel PCB and soldered on a new part. Now the oscilloscope won't power on (as expected since it controls the remote signal to the power supply). I forced the power supply to turn on when AC is applied by shorting the remote jumper header on the power supply. The oscilloscope boots up but no LEDs are on and no buttons work on the front panel. This is to be expected since the microcontroller is blank with no program to run. I would like to know if there is a way to reprogram the microcontroller on the front panel PCB. I don't see any information on firmware other than the 3.18 version that I don't think updates the software on the front panel PCB, but I could be wrong. Also, when I try the USB stick with 3.18 firmware, my oscilloscope won't try to update because it detects that the oscilloscope already has this firmware. I did place a TXT file named "forceinstall.txt" and this does force an install of the firmware, but the front panel still is dead. I did check with an ohm meter my soldering of the microcontroller to the PCB and from pad to pad to confirm no solder bridges. I ended up trying the LOCK command using the OpenChoice software tool to see if the main processor is preventing a firmware update to the microcontroller. I ran the command and forced the install with no luck.

I reached out to Tektronix and they replied with saying they can try repairing the scope but the cost would be ~$5k and it may not work. Also they can't sell me a replacement board as this is obsolete.

Does anyone own a MDO4000 series scope (No B or C suffix) and would be interested in working out a deal to extract the image from the MCU? Or perhaps if someone has a broken MDO4104-6 but a functional front panel PCB I would be interested in working out a deal.

Thanks

It's unlikely to have simultaneous failure of all front panel buttons and knobs. However a bad ground could cause any number of problems.
Do you find continuity to vital front panel wiring connections? Ground wire? Power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back