Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

detecting both ground and 12V input

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranco980

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi :-o

i am looking for a way to detect both ground and 12V (actualy between 11V and 14V) at the same input with a microcontroller.
i thought of two solution that i am looking for the best way to implement (cost/affective)
1. connecting the same input to two microcontroller inputs 1 for ground and 1 for 12V: adantage: inputs can be fast and clean (can use it for both regular inputs and digital signals disadantage: waisting 2 microcontroller inputs, waisting transistors. is there a good chip for that?
2. i am not sure how to do that but i was thinking maby using the ADC input. perhaps i can make the input be for example 2.5V when input is floating, ~5V when input is about 12V and 0V when input is ground. adantage: sounds like a cheap solution (aldo i am not sure how to do that), using only one input dissadvantage: slow reading

i was hoping to get best ways to implemt both solutions (or if one has a better one :wink:)

Thx in Advanced and BR
Ran.

I think you should select the second alternative, you can use flash adc if you want fastest conversation rate.

If I grab correctly what you write, you have an input signal that can assume any value between 0 Volt and 14 Volt, and you are interested in knowing when the input value is "exactly" zero Volt or goes above 11 Volt.
In this case I can suggest you to use analog comparators instead of ADC. Basically, comparator has two pins: one of them can be used as reference and, when the voltage on the other pin gets higher/lower than the reference, you can trigger an interrupt. Clean and elegant solution with very quick detection.
You need an MPU with two comparators, for example have a look at the ATMEL XMega MPU series (ALL models have at least 2 comparators).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back