Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Desparately need a Ribbon Cable!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulskii

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was repairing my tv and I accidentally ripped a ribbon cable...on it says SUMITOMO-M AWM 2896 80C VW-1 -F- It is white with 40 pins and is about 20mm wide and 120mm long...It came from a Mitsubishi WD-52525 DLP Tv...does anyone know where I can buy one of these cables?

I checked e-bay and found nothing...and the only thing I could find on google was a company selling it in bulk...

Please help!

Hey Desparate,

May I suggest you just glue some small gauge wires to a piece of cardboard and be done with it. Don't waste any more time looking for one. Ribbon cable is sold in bulk rolls of 100 ft. Unless of course you are interested in pre made cables.
Then I would try all the usual sources.
Allied Electronics
Newark Electronics
Mouser Electronics
DigiKey Electonics

Good Luck

MAKeller

You really think that making a home-made ribbon cable is feasible? If im going that route I could just repair the cable I broke...only two of the lines in this ribbon cable were cut...is there a way to splice this back together so that I do not have to stress about this anymore? Also can you send me a pic of a home made ribbon cable so I can see what it looks like? I'm a bit skeptical about that idea...

Thanks,
Paul

Added after 1 hours 33 minutes:

I actually found an identical cable at Digikey.com....I gave them a call, and they were able to help me out right away!

btw...I bought 5 of these cables...Digikey.com part number HFF-40U-03-ND
**broken link removed**

I just hope it really is the identical replacement for my cable....well see...

Thanks Again,
Paul

YES repairing home made cable is entirely feasable.
As is making your own at home.

If what you have ordered it is not the same then yes as above you can splice & repair ribbon cables.

Simply cut along either side of the broken cores with a sharp knife to expose them individually, then either sodler them together & cover in tape or attach new bits of cable to extend & use insulating tape.
(sleeving looks better but if its short tape will do).

You may be able to make do with the new bits you have ordered.

Just having some patience and fine soldering skills, you can do your own connections with fine stranded wires. it may take time but it works. Good luck

You guys realize that the ribbon cable I was talking about is 20mm wide with 40 pins fit in there? That means from center to center of each pin(wire) is .5mm I would like to see an example of such soldering...cause I don't think it can be done by just anyone...

Have you tried Ebay?
Ya never know someone just might have the exact cable you need.

Eda

I just wanted to post an update on these cables that I bought from Digikey....they are a bit shorter than I expected...they are NOT the exact length of the white ribbon cables in my chassis...luckily there is one ribbon cable that does not need to be as long as the others, and one of the replacement cables that I bought will fit there nicely...if anyone needs these cables...call Digikey and talk to a sales rep, they will get you the right part...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back