Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flat Cable- Connector Help

jimmykk

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have this 16 wire Flat Cable: https://no.mouser.com/ProductDetail...n/3625-16-30M?qs=iIqIgu6cv%2BTZS%2BLjtF9Zbg==
1686145017081.png

which i want to mount on this Samtec Connector: TCSD-08-01-N
1686145068256.png

After contacting their customer support, they said that they don't offer any specific tool to press them together and recommended just to hold the connnector body and flat head steel on an arbor to push them together.
But it does not seem correct idea to me. As i am afraid there will be some undesired offset.
Any recommendations?

if you’re just doing one or two of these, you can just use “Vise grips” or similar tool. There ARE specific tools for this, but they're pricey.

I find this cheap tool works really well for me...

Duratool

IDC Crimping Tool 240mm - D03028​

if you’re just doing one or two of these, you can just use “Vise grips” or similar tool. There ARE specific tools for this, but they're pricey.
Price is not an issue as this is going to be used in industry. So, feel free to send those pricey tools.

Price is not an issue as this is going to be used in industry. So, feel free to send those pricey tools.

Mouser has an obvious choice...

Even this tool requires a little thought before use. There are many options for orientation of ribbon and socket.

Wurth

Disclaimer - I have used a similar press - long ago, but I have not used this exact model
I assume that this device is adjustable for most common IDC sockets, but I do not know that for sure.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back