Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a processor that is using several blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

masoud.malekzadeh

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI , I 'm designing a processor that is using several Blocks , for example the output of Block A is input for Block B and so on ,,,,
and Block A needs 10 Clocks And B needs 6 , If i call these as files or Procedure The block B waits until the Block A finish ?

Thanks .

Re: Using file procedure

HI , I 'm designing a processor that is using several Blocks , for example the output of Block A is input for Block B and so on ,,,,
and Block A needs 10 Clocks And B needs 6 , If i call these as files or Procedure The block B waits until the Block A finish ?

Thanks .

You could call each block as a procedure (not as a 'file'...a file has no real meaning in a design language, it is simply a holder for the actual design elements such as an entity, process, procedure, declarations, etc.). However, since each block has some state to it (since you said that block A takes 10 clocks, block B takes 6), then it would likely be a mistake to try designing the blocks as a procedure, they should be separate standalone design elements. Then there will be another entity that instantiates the two blocks and connects the signals together appropriately.

Entities (in VHDL) and modules (in Verilog) are the natural design hierarchy enclosure, use it, don't fight it and you'll be ahead of the game.

Kevin Jennings

You could call each block as a procedure (not as a 'file'...a file has no real meaning in a design language, it is simply a holder for the actual design elements such as an entity, process, procedure, declarations, etc.). However, since each block has some state to it (since you said that block A takes 10 clocks, block B takes 6), then it would likely be a mistake to try designing the blocks as a procedure, they should be separate standalone design elements. Then there will be another entity that instantiates the two blocks and connects the signals together appropriately.

Entities (in VHDL) and modules (in Verilog) are the natural design hierarchy enclosure, use it, don't fight it and you'll be ahead of the game.

Kevin Jennings

You mean i define each block as a component then use port map to connect to each other ?
In this case The block B waits until the Block A to finish ?

you have not been very clear in your description. Can you please try and elaborate more.

you have not been very clear in your description. Can you please try and elaborate more.

I want to calculate the covariance of some data , first i should calculate the mean of data then remove it at the end calculate the covariance , and each one needs some clock cycles e.g 8 clocks ,( my hole arithmetic operations need clock cycles to operate ) .

now my question is what should i do in order to the covariance block should operate when the data is valid i mean after removing the mean ?

are we talking about testbenching or the real design?

They will only work when you create the entities (VHDL) or Modules (Verilog) for them. Just having the components doesnt really do alot. if you have the source, you never need to declare components. Component declarations should only be used when you need to black box something, or the source code is in another language.

They will only work when you create the entities (VHDL) or Modules (Verilog) for them. Just having the components doesnt really do alot. if you have the source, you never need to declare components. Component declarations should only be used when you need to black box something, or the source code is in another language.

yes i mean i create an entity for each of them then portmap them will it work ?

The port map has nothing to do with the operation. You can separate out every single register if you real wanted. The important bit is the functionality. The port map just shows the connection between the entities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back