Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing 8x1 Array in CST Microwave studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hassan_

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone!

I want to design an 8x1 and then 8x8 rectangular patch array in CST. I am having problems with designing the feed network. Can anyone please help me with it. Refer me some good sources to read. I am not sure about the impedance of the feed lines. Thanks.

Hi

To start you can use these files attached to this reply.

and

Attachments

• 13750-53314-1-PB.pdf
    401.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IJEST12-04-10-092.pdf
    398.9 KB · Views: 155

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi

To start you can use these files attached to this reply.

and

can you please email me the files at p050056[at]nu.edu.pk
I dont see any attachments. Have you worked on patch arrays? Thanks.

Hi Hassan_

I checked the attached files. These were true. You can download them easily. Please inform me if you can not download them.

GoodLuck

yes.. thanks I got them. I will get back to you after studying them. Thanks.

Hello Hamid,

I designed a 4x1 array just to check if it works. I used FR-4 substrate Er=4.3, H=1.5mm. The gain for single patch that i could get was 3.2 dbi and the directivity was 6dbi. With the array the gain increased to 7dbi and the directivity to 10.8dbi. I m getting a sidelobe level of -14 dbi. Do you think the design is ok? I need suggestion if you could help. What should be the gain for a single patch be, i m working on 3.8GHz.

Thanks.

Hi Hassan_

I don't mean to interrupt but the gain of the single patch can be improved if you used a less lossy material as a substrate compared to FR-4. FR-4 is a high lossy material. If your antenna is meant for long range, than you need a higher gain.

Thanks positron89. i knew that, i was just trying to see the gain. I am using Roggers 5880 now. for the single patch i got gain of about 7.3 and a driectivity of 8.4 dbi. i m working on the array now. i cant seem to get the frequency at 3.8 GHz and i m getting multiple dips below the -10 db mark. which shows its a multiband, but i m not sure if multiband antenna is good or not. I dont know how to justify it.

Dear Hassan_

What is your purpose to design the antenna? desired gain, SLL, pattern, etc?

Goodluck

Hello,

there is no such requirement. All i have to achieve is a 100 MHz bandwidth. Its my first design so i want it to be a good one. I have seen ppl who got a gain of around 7 db using FR4. i wonder how? Its a task given to me by a professor. I just need to make a good antenna, with good directivity and gain and minimum SLL. Right now, I m working on rogers 5880 and i cant get the resonant frequency. Even though I got it for single patch but its not working for 4x1. can u check my design if i send it to u.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back