Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design of a Comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunti

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
please suggest a circuit to design a comparator with the following specifications

Process 180nm CMOS

Power Supply 1.8V

CLK to Output Delay <11ns

Input Voltage range 600 to 1200mV

Differential Swing 1.2V

Power consumption <2mW

Estimated Load Capacitance 100fF

thanks in advance

taking into account low gain requirement (i.e. "differential swing 1.2V") you need a complementary (P-type+N-type, to cover 0.6...1.2V input range) low gain (e.g. 2...4...8, to be fast) differential stage followed by simple regenerative amplifier. Might be enebled RS-latch as last stage shall be added, if comparison state have to keeped during whole clock cycle.

Reactions: bunti

bunti

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Please can u tell me what does a low gain differential stage mean?

this means differential amplifier with ratio between driver to load transconductance (Gm/Gload) <10. In principle from your spec follow that even simple complementary (i.e. P-type + N-type sensitive input) regenerative amplifier (without analog preamplifier stage) can be enough.

can u please explain me a little more about ur recent post i.e.,simple complementary (i.e. P-type + N-type sensitive input) regenerative amplifier (without analog preamplifier stage)
I am actually new to analog designing:-(

input voltage sensing transistors could be N-type or P-type or both P+N-type (i.e. complementary) pair (quad) of transistors. Last case expand allowable range of common mode input voltages. Example of such simple comparator you can find on figure
https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/50_1308299921.jpg

Can you please give me some material related to the circuit?

Or is there any possibility to make a comparator working for 10mV input to work at my required voltage range?

There are a lot of materials related to analog circuit design. You themself should to define a region of interests and use Google. As a beginner you can start from any classic, say "CMOS Analog Circuit Design" of Allen, Holberg.
Rgarding 10mV sensitivity level for your comparator it can be repeated that low gain preamplifier should be used before regenerative comparator in that case. Because regenerative comparators have usually good sensitivity (~5mV), but they typically have big input offset voltage.

Reactions: bunti

bunti

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.