Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design a hard-wired MP3 decoder without DSP or ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanlee

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, all:
I want to know the difficulty and possibility of a hard-wired MP3 decoder without DSP or ARM.
please give me some advices, thanks....

The simplest way is
to design the microprocessor core
with the properties like by ARM core
and program MP3 - algorithm in it.
Some people have done this way.
The another way
is to program the algorithm in HandelC,
and translate it in hardware.
But the hardware volume will be much higher.

My company has designed a hard-wired MP3 decoder... I remember its area was around 50Kgates..

it's not a good idea to go for hard-wired MP3 .. simply because u will lose the flexibility of reprogramming ur core .. sometimes u need to add a feature .. upgrade ur mobile MP3 player .. get the latestest updates from the internet .. if ur not using a microprocessor, u will not be able to do all that ..

MP3 chipsets are mostly used in portable devices. where power/cost are the main concerns. hardwired logic will consume lesser power/area compared to CPU based systems thus saving power and area...

area became of no big concern these days as compared to 1990's .. silicon become cheaper compared to other factors .. but for the power consumption, there are many techniques to save power in microprocessors, for this very reason many MP3 devices companies do use processors rather than hard-wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back