Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Delayed output inside process statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

neocool

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to understand why I am getting a delayed responce in the following case. One of the components is outputting several signals based on which the code is supposed to set the trigger high or low.

Code:
Trigger: process(clk_in, SIG1, SIG2, SIG3)
begin
	if (clk_in'event and clk_in='1') then
	  if (SAMPLE_CLK_OUT_LOCAL='1') then  
	    if (SIG1='1' and SIG2='1' and SIG3='1') then
	      TRIGGER <= '1';
	    else
	      TRIGGER <= '0';                
end if; end if; end if;

I want the trigger to be synchronous with the first occurence of SIG1/2/3 being high. With the code above, this happens only next clk_in clock cycle. Is it due to delays that make clk_in'even not happen the instant the case is occuring?

I have modified the line if (clk_in'event and clk_in='1') then
by erazing 'event condition like that:
Code:
if (clk_in='1') then
Is it the correct way to do it?

Thanks

What is SAMPLE_CLK_OUT_LOCAL?

You're sampling the logical and of sig1,2,3 on the rising edge of clk_in in this code, which you say you don't want to do.

From your description of your requirement you sound as if you want a purely combinational process to generate the trigger (place only sig1,2,3) in the sensitivity list.

Declare the TRIGGER as VARIABLE instead of SIGNAL and then try. Note that this is syncrhonised with rising edge of the clock as per your code.

Hi neocool,

When you are coding vhdl, always keep in mind that your design will be implemented in hardware (for synthesisable design of course).

When your write the following code :
if (SAMPLE_CLK_OUT_LOCAL='1') then
if (SIG1='1' and SIG2='1' and SIG3='1') then
TRIGGER <= '1';
else
TRIGGER <= '0';
end if;
in a clk_in'event and clk_in='1' condition, this means that you want to design a flip flop register. Your code will be synthesised as the logic equation set on the D input of the flip flop named "TRIGGER". The output Q of your flip flop TRIGGER will be set on the next rising edge of the clk_in.

If you want an asynchronous design (no latch, may generate glitches), you can write outside a process :
TRIGGER <= '1' when (SIG1='1' and SIG2='1' and SIG3='1' and SAMPLE_CLK_OUT_LOCAL='1') else '0';

Hope this will help you :wink:

Thanks for the replies.

What is SAMPLE_CLK_OUT_LOCAL?
SAMPLE_CLK_OUT_LOCAL is like a bit clock. I want my samples of data be read on clk_in when SAMPLE_CLK_OUT_LOCAL is high (the last one is twice slower than clk_in).

The flip-flop information is useful. Is there a way though to make my design synchronous and not delayed by one clock cycle? From the test bench it looks like sig1/2/3 go high at the same instant as clk_in and SAMPLE_CLK_OUT_LOCAL go high.
Is the following correct: The flip-flop is created during place and route process. During the run-time, when the process is executed, the logical expression at D input is producing the result, which is going to be seen at Q output only on the next clock cycle. One the next clock cycle because the flip-flop is created to react on rising edge of clk_in. Also, the value at D can change as many times as there is a number of changes in signals in sensitivity list because the block (if (sig1='1' and sig2='1' and..) ) is a combinational block. Does it sound ok? Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere in between the lines or if I am missing out something.

Thank you

whooo

hard to check if all sounds ok, but it seems good.
just one remark : after synthesis, even if a signal is not in the sensivity list, the D input of the flip flop will change if one of the signals used in the combinatory bloc changes.
That means the D input can be not stable for a time ... but it should be at the clk rising edge.

remove all the atribute from the process atribute list except the clock. then try

ashish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back