Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

defence projects in embedded and power electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

diksha.k

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am interested in power electronics and embedded systems.
Can anyone suggest me good topics on which i can focus in defence sector.

Defense articles usually want an extended temperature
for the system, and SWAP concerns usually limit how
much weight and volume can be given to thermal
management. So one fruitful area might be high temp
capable, highly compact power supplies with high
environmental integrity. Use of wide bandgap power
devices, exotic magnetic cores and of course some
sort of high temp capable controller could make this
all practical. People are working on this, US gov't has
put out SBIR solicitations for this sort of thing, so
the interest is validated. The actual market for a
fielded product, well....

I am interested in power electronics and embedded systems.
Can anyone suggest me good topics on which i can focus in defence sector.
Thirty years ago when I was involved with hush hush secret stuff, the hot applications at that time, were very high powered pulsed lase power supplies (megawatts) and artificial intelligence associated with shape recognition (faces, number plates, etc). That is all now terribly old...

From what I hear on the grape vine, the really big push these days is in electronic warfare and counter measures.

The number #1 issue on military electronics, is utmost reliability under high stress conditions, which include (but are not limited to) temperature extremes, vibration, brutal acceleration, humidity and condensation, resistance to chemicals, extreme electro-magnetic immunity, operation at high altitudes or high pressures............the list goes on and on.

In another company we produced a power supply for a military smart device. The required reliability was in the sub-PPM level, and we had to conduct periodic evaluations from random samples to prove that the reliability was still there.

When you think about it for a while, there was some irony in that much reliability, for a device which will be used once and only for a few moments, only to be pulverized after its mission is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.