Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC current calculation and battery capacity analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

pragash

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear all,
We are going to start designing mobile phone which has many technologies in it such as 3G, Bluetooth, WiFi, accelerometer and etc. i need to calculate current drawn by each technology so I can determine minimum battery capacity I need for battery life I need. I have never done such calculation before. Any good reference from you guys will be much appreciated.

BR
pragash

I think you don't have to compare such power calculations for different processes: for your technologies simply use the smallest available process size, where you can get the IP blocks which you can't invent and design yourself. This concerns digital as well as analog solutions (where the latter ones often are now realized in digital logic). If available, use the Low Power option.

Bear in mind that your competition meanwhile goes to or even already uses process sizes < 20nm !

hi erikl,
i think you got me wrong. i dont want compare the power calculation but i just want to do battery power/density calculation for my product based on technology/ICs/component used in the product. take note that im doing embedded design only and not IC design.

- - - Updated - - -

i will appreciate if you have any "minimum required battery power calculation" for embedded designs. any book or link also will help..

Sorry, Pragash, for my misunderstanding! Concerning your requirements for embedded designs I can't help you, unfortunately.

Perhaps for your questions your thread would better be positioned in the Embedded Linux and RTOS section of this forum? If you also think so, just tell me (by PM), then I could xfer your thread there.

GSM connections can have peaks up to 2A, so should be a super cap near GSM supply maybe 0,8F-1F 5V .
500mA is maximum supplyied to USB dongle 3G 3.5G 4G dongles, so there is a limit to 500mAh, Wifi can go up to 200mA durring TX and 40mA during receiving, but low power mode can go much less.
Batt capacity similar to smartphone 2500mAh. Use LifePo4 tech to have +2000cycles charge/ dischrage vs 600cycles lipo.

Check this cell.

IMG_4690.JPG

IMG_4692.JPG

This one is LiFePO4 high energy density 5Ah 100g
If @1A discharge (0,2C) life go up to 4000cycles charge/discharge or more if less current used. LiFePo4 can reach 6k-8k cycles with low current.

Make sure you use also good DC/DC for your system. Most DC DC converters are not efficient and keeps discharging battery even with no load. LTC1700 is a perfect converter max 4A. Please contact for any modules wifi, bluethoot Low energy, batteries or other components.

You can also cover back of phone with mini solar cell for enegy harvesting to charge battery, and use vibration energy harvesting.

Before develop any system think well about power suppy. Supply is supply, must be stable, efficient and very low conspuption by it self.

Last edited:

hi vitoa,
you mistaken me as well. i wanted an example of battery life calculation, thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.