Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

current sensor with op amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rares.tohanean

I have a problem with this schematic:
I want to measure the current through a conductor with TALEMA AC1015 sensor. The signal from the sensor is amplified with op amp MC1458 in an inversor configuration.

The schematic works like this:
current: 3.8A a.c. 50Hz output: 1.93V a.c.
current: 7.4A a.c. 50Hz output: 3.4V a.c.

The problem is that at the output terminal I have always a continuum component of 10V d.c..

Why is this and how I can get rid of it?

Thank you!
raresh.

The circuit has two errors.

- LM1458 is no rail-to-rail OP. It needs a negative supply voltage to allow zero common mode voltage.

- Talema AC1015 is a current transformer. The output voltage is a bipolar AC voltage. Thus the amplifier output is also AC voltage. A negative OP supply is needed for it.

You could switch to a noninverting configuration and implement a DC bias network on the amplifier's input if you want to avoid a negative power supply, as long as you don't mind a DC offset on the output. In that case, you would also need to AC couple the transformer through a capacitor to avoid injecting DC current.

Also, for the input/output relationship you posted, it looks like the transformer needs a 100 ohm load, but your schematic shows a 200||1k =167 ohm load. You could change the feedback resistors from 1k,5k to 200,1k, or maybe use a voltage divider to bias your amplifier and change the input impedance at the same time.

Regards,
Chris

Thank you!

I will implement your advices and I'll come back with the results.

Sory form my lack of details (I see now).
I don't want to amplify the negative alternance because the ADC that follows doesn't need it. The software can cope with this situation.

raresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.