Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating MilkyWay database from Hercules Lvs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsrin

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everybody,

I ran lvs using Hercules rule deck to generate Milkyway database for StarRc. The log file has "Milkyway terminated successfully" . But, I don't know the file name of the milkyway database. The gds and netlist is lvs clean with Calibre . My doubts are

1) What the Milkyway database consists of ?
2) Whether it is a file or a directory.
3) Which option of the header in the Hercules ruledeck tells the file/folder name of the milkyway database.
4) Can we generate Milkyway database with calibre tool. Is it possible?

Thanks in Advance.
bsrin.

Hi bsrin,

Milkyway database consists of a directory of LIB and FRAM folders. There are additional folders created for errors or db files. These folders consist of synopsys binary format databases. That answers 1 and 2.

I am not sure on 3. But on 4, the answer is no. Calibre is a tool that belongs to Mentor Graphics and is not going to create Milkyway.

-Vikram

Hi Everybody,

I ran lvs using Hercules rule deck to generate Milkyway database for StarRc. The log file has "Milkyway terminated successfully" . But, I don't know the file name of the milkyway database. The gds and netlist is lvs clean with Calibre . My doubts are

1) What the Milkyway database consists of ?
2) Whether it is a file or a directory.
3) Which option of the header in the Hercules ruledeck tells the file/folder name of the milkyway database.
4) Can we generate Milkyway database with calibre tool. Is it possible?

Thanks in Advance.
bsrin.

Reactions: bsrin

bsrin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Vikram,

Thanks for your quick response. So, I can find the milkyway database from your keypoint (the folder which consists of LIB and FRAM folders) . Is my guess right ?
Actually , I have an issue with the hercules rule file. My gds, netlist file is lvs clear with calibre tool. But, it is not clear with hercules (getting some errors) . I don't know whether milkyway database is generated or not.
Does the tool generates Milkyway database even when lvs is not clean ?
Does the Milkyway database consists information about the layout and schematic ?
I have to generate the RC extraction from StarRc tool. I have nxtgrd, map files . Once I get Milkyway database I can run star_cmd command file to generate SPF file.

Thanks.
bsrin.

Hi bsrin,

Milkyway database consists of a directory of LIB and FRAM folders. There are additional folders created for errors or db files. These folders consist of synopsys binary format databases. That answers 1 and 2.

I am not sure on 3. But on 4, the answer is no. Calibre is a tool that belongs to Mentor Graphics and is not going to create Milkyway.

-Vikram

Hello bsrin,

I know hercules generates the Milkyway database for doing both DRC and LVS. I personally have not setup hercules, but have always run a run_script for it in analog world. I have no idea of all the things you have mentioned as I am a digital engineer.

-V

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Actually try the solvenet.synopsys.com. I found it very helpful.

Open your Hercules runset and find WRITE_EXTRACT_VIEW section, in this section you should find LIBRARY_NAME parameter. The value of this parameter is the name of generated Milkyway database (it is also a directory name).

The Milkyway database(library) is the directory. The name of this directory is the name of the library. Inside this directory you must see one or several files name "lib*", also it contains some sub-directories. They are:

CEL - contains the full topology of the cells
FRAM - contains abstract(phantom) of the cells; it just a box with the pins and blockages; it is used during PnR
ILM - interface logic model
XTR - extracted views (this one is generated by Hercules)

And some other views (some of them are old), like LM, NETL, PARA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back