Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CPLD as memory device???

Status
Not open for further replies.

info_req

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to use CPLD as a Memory device (i.e. as a flash mamory)??? I want to replace flash memory with CPLD and save data in it during runtime.

Thanks

Is this a joke ? Well you can use bootstraps like spoons too i assume !.Cplds are arrays of product terms configuration bits .They can be read back .But they require an algorithm or at least a voltage state machine controller .It will be way much easier to put a 8 pin dip eeprom memory . And a lot more of storing capability .

info_req

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
It was not a joke. It was an idea in my mind and i was already confused between both two. I just calrified it.

thankhyou for so 'HOT' response.
I have clickred "helped button"

May I add some comments:

Lattice and Altera have devices that are flash based.
Altera: MAXII (is a CPLD)
Lattice: MachXO (CPLD), XP and XP2 (FPGA's)
These devices have on board memory.

I know that XP2 has the ability to write back to flash memory.

So in theory it is possible to use CPLD's or FPGA's as Flash Memory.

If it's a small amount of memory you need to write, then it is feasable.

After all, not so bad as idea?!?!?

Regards,
L

lucbra said:
So in theory it is possible to use CPLD's or FPGA's as Flash Memory.

I doubt the configuration flash can be written and erased while the CPLD is still acting like a CPLD. I'm not sure it can even be read.

I have seen people start topics that to me are not engineering discussions .
engineering is an activity where you solve problems .Not create ones just for fun .If a problem has been solved .You move on to a new one .Not create a new problem out of an old already solved one .
memories are devices that come in sufficient flavors .They are not a problem to employ or to obtain .
In the early days of computer .CRT tubes were used as storage devices .It was a valid approach .Because there was nothing else .This days who in his right mind will use such approach .Just because???.Employers demand professional solutions from engineers .Not PUZZLES ! or just mind wondering ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back