Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Could the microcontroller be started with a serial crystal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibs

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
questions about crystals

Hi all,

I have a problem with a microcontroler board wich seems to be out of order.
I don't have any Clock Output signal whereas the chip is well powered.

This board were fully functional there are 2 days. I have changed the crystal with an another and the board was repaired.....

My question is : could the microcontroller be started with a serial crystal?

I don't know wether a serial or paralell crystal had been soldered....

Tkx,
TIBS.

Re: questions about crystals

It should be OK. Serial or parallel resonance is used depend on oscillator circuit not crystal itself. Every cristal has both serial and parallel resonance. So you can't say that is serial crystal another is parallel. You can say only this oscillator circuit uses serial resonance another uses parallel. Oscillator always work in the frequency range between these serial and parallel resonance. But for serial circuit it works very close to serial resonance. Parallel circuit is very close to parallel resonance.

questions about crystals

In my opinion, It is possible to use a serial crystal. Do not worry about this issue!

Maybe you should verify your microcontroller.

Most of all it's a question of accuracy. The oscillators frequency is closest to the specified frequency if the type of oscillator meets the crystals specification (serial or parallel resonance). This effects also the specified capacity for a parallel resonant crystal: the oscillator has to provide this capacity for a closest match to the specified frequency of the crystal (e.g. +-50ppm). If used in an other environment the frequency will drift up to some hundred ppm. Very often it will oscillate. But it could be critical if the oscillators capacity is too high for the crystal. This can cause startup problems.

Mik

"series" or "parallel" from the crystal standpoint, is only a frequency calibration issue. 99.99% of the crystal oscillators integrated onto micro. is of the Pierce configuration which will have a load that appears in series with the crystal to form the final frequency. the load is usually on the order of 10pF to 30pF. the effect of this load is threefold (at least) it affects the oscillator frequency(smaller load capacitance means higher frequency), Gain margin (higher the load capacitance the lower the margin), crystal power dissapation (higher the load capacitance the higher the crystal power dissapation will be). Generally for microcontroller applications(or similar) a very lite load(small caps) is desirable since frequency stabiality is not real important and reliable operation is. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back