Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cost difference between multi layered PCBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the no. of layers. 8mm is really thick.
As far as I know the 2-layer price is about $0.072/sq.in
8mm boards need more prepregs and normally it will increase the cost by $0.003/sq.in/pcs.
For example 4 more prepregs are needed the price will be $0.072+$0.003*4=$0.084/sq.in.
I hope it's useful.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
As I said, nobody asked for 8 mm PCB stackup, SunnySkyguy just mentioned the number, apparently without reference to the previous discussion. 8 mm is no regular PCB, there may be more or less exotic applications for thick stackups in planar transformers, but that's definitely beyond the topic of this thread.

2.4 mm is roughly an upper limit for soldering components in throughplated technology.

Hi FVM!Yeah, I have never seen a 8mm requirement. Maybe we both are too serious about the 8.0 mm.
My fault. I come from a non-English speaking country.So sometimes I misunderstood something in the thread.
Thank you anyway.

The more layers a stack up contains, the thicker the board will get. Larger layer clearance (insulation) and thicker copper (higher current capability) will quickly result in thick boards.

As a reference, I believe, the current state of the art is about 10 mm thick with up to 50 (!) flex rigid layers. ACB is a leading manufacturer of these, and boards over 16 layers are relatively common in aerospace and defense applications.

Reactions: kozacy

kozacy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
3.2mm thick can be used with careful control of the soldering for PTH devices, generally a longer pre-heat time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back