Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

copper balancing in altium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver8

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there any way to add copper dots in altium for copper balancing?

This is our preferred balancing method, but i can't find any option for this?

I hope i am getting your question right you want to put extra copper on layers so that there is even copper on layers.
For this you can provide copper fills but you have to do it manually at desired locations and layers.

Yes, I think the original poster is talking about copper thieving for interior signal layers. Makes the volume of copper more uniform both across the layer, and between paired layers. This leads to less potential warping/planarity problems. (May also be useful on top/bot layers for mask adhesion???)

I don't know how to get Altium to do this, but I believe that most board manufacturers can do it to your specifications after you give them the gerber files. Much in the same way that they can use their CAM tools to add other features like teardrops, etc. after the fact.

Another question is why dots are preferred? Dots are floating copper. Could potentially mess with any impedance matching. Using solid or hatched GND pours that are well stitched into a GND plane can be calculated for impedance effects, and can help reduce noise in a design. Also good for thermal dissipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back