Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert SVGA analog signal to digital format, such as BMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog_digital

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I’m a last year student of Faculty of Electronics and Telecommuncaitions, Hanoi University of Technology of Vietnam who is working on my bachelor thesis on SVGA converter hardware. In my project, I have to convert SVGA analog signal to digital format, such as BMP or JPG, and if possible MPEG format". I think of using pSoc for AD converting, and seeking for similar circuits but found not many so far.

This project goal is very hard to me, and time is short.Could you please give a clue on how to do that, at least a direction to go. Any advises, schematic diagrams, or simply a clue will save me weeks of heavy work.

I will highly appreciated your help. I guess you used to be a student like me, and you have experienced all the hard days before graduation, like mine.

Thank you in advance !

For off-list contact, use my email address: poter_h@yahoo.com
:?:

it a bad solution , see dsprelated

Re: Convert SVGA analog signal to digital format, such as BM

Try using the following ADC AD9880 or AD9882. This will give you the red, green and blue pixels. Then you need to understand how the HSYNC and VSYNC. The HSYNC wll indicate a start and end of the horizontal line. VSYNC indicates the start and end of the vertical lines. So if HSYNC and VSYNC are enabled, that would be the start of frame and end of a frame. You would need to know the pixel clock.

Let me know how it goes as I am supervising a student that is doing something similar but using the DVI and different application.

do you need to do it in hw? or use ordinary pc and framegrabber
i quite do not understand what is your output format. You wrote bmp .. it is file format, where you would like to store it, send it over serial link ??

cancel said:
do you need to do it in hw? or use ordinary pc and framegrabber
i quite do not understand what is your output format. You wrote bmp .. it is file format, where you would like to store it, send it over serial link ??

I'm designing a circuit similarly framegrabber. Ok BMP format is file fomat so I must convert from SVGA analog signal to digital signal then convert digital signal to BMP format. Are you ok? I can convert from BMP format to MPEG but convert from SVGA to BMP I havent finished yet. Do you help me? Thanks !

Added after 31 minutes:

eziggurat said:
Try using the following ADC AD9880 or AD9882. This will give you the red, green and blue pixels. Then you need to understand how the HSYNC and VSYNC. The HSYNC wll indicate a start and end of the horizontal line. VSYNC indicates the start and end of the vertical lines. So if HSYNC and VSYNC are enabled, that would be the start of frame and end of a frame. You would need to know the pixel clock.

Let me know how it goes as I am supervising a student that is doing something similar but using the DVI and different application.

Thanks for help! I will tried. My design similar a framegrabber but have some another problem. At the begin I intend to use DVI but I'm not successful when convert SVGA analog signal to digital. Are you successful with DVI? Do you guide me? Thanks for all!

If you simply converting to SVGA to BMP format, AD9882 or AD9880 will give you the reg, green and blue pixel. You could use a small FPGA to convert it into bmp format. You should look at XUPV2P board and files associated with it as it reads bmp image from memory and a TFT controller. I think you can gain soemthing from those files.

eziggurat said:
If you simply converting to SVGA to BMP format, AD9882 or AD9880 will give you the reg, green and blue pixel. You could use a small FPGA to convert it into bmp format. You should look at XUPV2P board and files associated with it as it reads bmp image from memory and a TFT controller. I think you can gain soemthing from those files.
Thanks yo u very much! I will try:D

Oh I'm interested in this Problen. I'm doing the same project too ! The Eziggurat's help is very useful. But I don't known any Developmental Kit include AD9880 Or AD9882 ??? Please Show me ??

Look at the analog device website. they will have the datasheet and evalutaion board in the website. Just type AD9882 or AD9887 or soemthing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at the analog device website. they will have the datasheet and evalutaion board in the website. Just type AD9882 or AD9887 or soemthing.

Hello,

I'm trying to use the AD9880 to convert from DVI (or HDMI) to HDTV; unfortunatly the datasheet isn't so clear.
Have sameone some example how internal register was setting?
Thanks for all in advance

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.