Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert PIC into BASIC STAMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncsl82

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
basic stamp clone

Hello :)

Well few years back I did come across a project, which convert a PIC microchip into a parallax BASIC STAMP. It's still a PIC microchip and the only thing change it's the "look" which mimic BASIC STAMP that allow the PIC microchip to used for BASIC STAMP application or purpose. Now the problem is my good old PC is formated due to virus :(.

So I hope someone that come across the same project or information and can post up the link or tutorial.

Thank
:)

pic basic stamp

Anyone have some ideas about this matter?

:D

parallax basic stamp 2 toronto

One option is using PicBasic or PicBasic Pro from www.melabs.com It is similar to the Basic Stamp and you can use almost the entire 8bit family including USB. Its stable and powerful. Download an evaluation copy and give it a try.

johncsl82

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
basic stamp clones

I agree, the BASIC STAMP is old, slow & expensive. Use PICBASIC instead. Or better yet assembly...

johncsl82

how to convert basic stamp code to pic

Was this project for real ? Was it legal ?

I have taken many BS in my hands and always have a chuckle when I see what it's made of :)

The power of BASIC .. ha ha :)

@blueroomelectronics : Love your projects man ! But why you use assembly ? What has C done to you :)

parallax basic stamp clone

Well the Stamp is old old, it uses a 16C57

Scott Edwards made a clone STAMP but I'm sure got in trouble so now it's gone.
**broken link removed**

The PICAXE would be more fun to clone, and a smart cloner would us an 18Fxxxx as a base.
A really smart cloner would use the FLASH not the EEPROM for code space.
A g_d would make it public domain.

Added after 1 minutes:

vsmGuy said:
@blueroomelectronics : Love your projects man ! But why you use assembly ? What has C done to you :)

I've been using assembler for years, it's not that hard. Never got the hang of C.
I do like the look of Swordfish for the 18F PICs, nice.

johncsl82

basic stamp clone firmware

blueroomelectronics said:
I've been using assembler for years, it's not that hard. Never got the hang of C.
I do like the look of Swordfish for the 18F PICs, nice.

That's one of the BEST answers in "ASM vs C" I have got so far !

BTW - would you really consider cloning the STAMP; seriously ?

johncsl82

clone basic stamp

Not the Stamp so much, use PICBASIC and stomp out the Stamp. Why anyone still buys BASIC Stamps is lack of knowledge about what exists for the PIC, and an awesome marketing budget at Parallax.
Those full page cover ads on the back of EPE cost $,$$$ and it's paid for by... (high margins)

Now OOPIC or DIOS seem more interesting.

PS I used to use the Parallax PIC assembler, loved it and was hard to ween me off it. Now I'd never look back.

basic stamp 2+clon

Seriously, I believe languages, even if they are general purpose ones, will always have domains of applications.

BASIC might always be a nice language for a 10yr old to learn - get a feel for programming.

But anyone older has enough IQ to learn a better language.

Added after 1 minutes:

Infact if I remember correctly, Parallax PIC assembler uses a 8051 like syntax ?

usb basic-stamp clone

Yes, it still exists, since I did some programming on the Intel 8088 it seemed familiar. I liked the mov command most and miss it so.

how to convert picaxe.bas to .asm

Ah yes. My memory is not as bad as I fear it to be.

I used the BS for a BoeBot, and quickly BS'ed it.

I still don't get why someone would make you program in ASM and that too using a CISC set on a RISC platform !

Still seems ridicuous to me !

Anyone who knows a CISC set will have NO problem whatsoever switching to a RISC set !

pc parallax basic stamp application

I dont understand the logic for using a stamp compared to a PIC prior has limited number of variables, memory and best of all a 50$ tag for the SX version, and PIC only costs around 5$, with more memory, more variables and more speed....

convert bas to pic

abidr said:
I dont understand the logic for using a stamp compared to a PIC prior has limited number of variables, memory and best of all a 50$ tag for the SX version, and PIC only costs around 5$, with more memory, more variables and more speed....

It's called newbies. Parallax has pretty ads and it is very easy to program simple projects. iButton stuff is easy, RS232 is easy, multi threading not so much.

best basic stamp

Thank for the reply....

if anyone had any additional information, please post it in this topic :D

Thanks

pic basic-stamp clone

More practical and cheaper in the long run is to use PICBASIC **broken link removed**

The syntax is very similar to a BASIC Stamp and it's also a lot faster.

They have a demo version of their PRO compiler that will handle 40 lines of code for free on a few selected PICs.

clon parallax pic

well the real problem is my friend gave me an old robotic kit that required a parallax basic stamp microcontroller. Since I don't have the basic stamp, I though of building one using those PIC microcontroller that I have.... :D

Thanks

stamp 1 clone parallax

johncsl82 said:
well the real problem is my friend gave me an old robotic kit that required a parallax basic stamp microcontroller. Since I don't have the basic stamp, I though of building one using those PIC microcontroller that I have.... :D

Thanks

If you only need one, it's cheaper to buy it than make a PCB.

or just hand wire a 16F876A (or better yet a 18F2525 or 16F886) on to a small PCB with header pins.

convert basic stamp 1 to basic stamp 2

Thanks

convert photo into stamp

Well just incase anyone followed this thread, I've found the free SE edition of Swordfish BASIC and any PIC18F is an awesome combo. Far better than any BASIC Stamp.

clone stamp microchip

I agree with Bill (blueroom). The Swordfish BASIC compiler is very impressive.

I wish Microchip would consider picking it up and turning it into their "B18" language. It's certainly powerful and flexible enough to compete with their "C18" and a Microchip sponsored/supported "B18" language would certainly add credibility to BASIC as a viable development language.

----

PS - Is Electro-Tech-Online site down (26-Jan-08 @ 1030 EST)???

Status
Not open for further replies.