Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

controlling 5phase stepper motor using parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.
stepper motor using parallel port

Don't worry about exact output voltage, if you change pc it can change quite a lot. If you use a TTL compatible input it will work for Vinput > 2.6 V.
My question was about voltage required for motor winding, I don't find any electrical characteristic.

Sinisa from which part of Canada come the wonderful landscape you show ?

labview for stepper motor

hi sinisa, i cant see the Driver.JPG file.

Added after 3 hours 6 minutes:

i can't find the supply voltage.
in this link **broken link removed**
it mentions that PMM33BH2 need 0.75A and 1.0 ohm/phase.

stepper motor programs parallel port

trapoe said:
Sinisa from which part of Canada come the wonderful landscape you show ?

Southern, where it's warm and wet :)

parallel buffer motor

Hi,
There is quite a lot on this topic in the PC Programming and interfacing section of this board headed as a C++ Question by Licifre, in my post here is a listing of how to drive a 4 phase stepper motor from the parallel port of a PC, it would only require minor mods to the state machine logic to drive a 5 phase device. The parallel port actually controlled its direction and provided the exact number of clock pulses. I do also recommend using some form of galvanic isolation between the port and the motor drive, just in case there are any spikes that get back into your PC. Quad Opto isolators or Quad magnetic isolators are fine for this job.
Best regards,
Bob

5phase stepping motor drive

hii all...
thx for the replies for me.
now i got the driver from mycom which is INS50 and the motor is PF569-AC.

5 phase stepping motor

I need one buffer circuit between parallel port and motor driver.
can anyone help me?
parallel port can only give 3.15V and motor driver need 5V.

cd4059 breadboard

Hi,
If it is just to supply a control voltage to switch the motor one/off etc the 3.15V will probably work fine, I suspect that the motor controller has TTL or CMOS inputs, these are designed to work from 1.4V to 5V for a logic 1, a signal below 0.7 will be interpreted as a logic 0. If you need a buffer circuit you could try using a noninverting hex buffer such as a 74HC564 powered by an external 5V supply, this will certainly be driven OK by the signals that you have. The incorporation of a buffer is a good thing as it will provide some degree of protection for your computer if the motor sends back any spikes.
Best regards
Bob.

parallel port 5v

Thx Dr Bob,

recently i have found out 74ACT244 for the driver circuit. I m not sure whether it can work or not
coz i haven't test it out as i haven't finished writing labview program :)

parallel port using labview

Refer to manual for connection schematic.
It would be best to use diffeerential driver as shown in the manual, SN75174 is good example. You need 10mA driving current for input optocoupler and it is beneficial to have differential driver for noise immunity. Also this solves your worries about LPT signal levels.
If you use all signals you will need 5V supply capable of delivering 40-50mA. You could steal that from USB port or have external PSU for that.

ul2003 darlington

i've tested with the labview program to c the signal level from the parallel port.
but the signal from the parallel port is not stable.
i gave 1KHz and 1000 pulses to parallel port.
how can i make the signal stable from the parallel port?

thx in advance to everyone who hlep me!!
:D

Added after 1 hours 41 minutes:

i got the clue.
the labview part is the problem.

parelel port opto uln2003 stepmotor

No, it is windsows. Between multitasking and hardware poling you can't have predictable results on LPT. There are some utilities that stop windows from poling LPT, so that might help you a bit.

stepper parallel port buffer

thx sinisa,
wht i post yesterday was not complete explanation, i m sorry :(
wht my problem now is when i gave the direction pulse (1) forward,ouput O1 the voltage 5V comes out, but then i gave (0)reverse, from O1 the voltage is -0.00.
so i m saying the labview program got a problem.

5-phase motor driving

Hello skalaxy.
Pin 19 is shown connected to Vcc on your drawing, it should be connected to ground like pin 1 for anything to happen on the output, I presume this is a drawing error and not how your circuit is connected or nothing would happen on the outputs. The value you describe that you are getting is surely correct, you get logic 1 (5V) for forward and logic 0 (0V) for reverse, so what is your problem?
regards,
Bob.

lpt stepper motor labview

hi DrBob13,

i ve connected pin 19 to Vcc according the datasheet.
the diagram above is my drawing and that's how i connected on the breadboard. :)
do i have to put pin 19 to ground?

the problem is i couldn't make motor run.
when i start run the program, everything is working until it reach to stepper motor driver.
but when it comes to motor, though the motor is working (i can hear the noise), the spindle never turn neither forward or backward.

thx.

stepper motor parallel labview

hi

i ve tested and the motor run already.
it is because of the labview program's timed loop.
the frequency is cant exceed than 1KHz.
how can i make it run faster than this speed?
inside labveiw cant do as i need LabVIEW Real-Time Module.

controlling stepper motor direct to parallel port

Hello skalaxy,
Ok, now I see why you have connected pin 19 to Vcc, you are not using that half of the chip, sorry that I missed that point, you are correct. I am not very familiar with LabView but what you say makes sense as my colleague recently had a similar problen with it. The only thing I can suggest is that you generate your motor run clock with for example a 555 timer and gate it on/off with a LabView output like you use for the direction control pin, that way you could generate a clock that is faster than 1khz.

Are you sure that your motor can use pulses at 1kHz, a lot of stepper motors can not because the winding inductance is too high, if this is so you would get the effecct that you have found, the motor shaft vibrates but will not turn.
Best regards,
Bob.

parallel port on bjt

hi ,

yes motor shaft vibrates a lot.
currently i m using PFE5691AC(BC) from mycom.
n now i m writing a new one using labview.
but for this time, i can only give 1.9999 Hz.
cant go up to 2Hz.
once i set to 2Hz the motor vibrates a lot n cant run even a step :(

parallel port 3.5v

thx Dr Bob,

that means using timer IC which can generate pulse signal might get more than 1 kHz.

control 5 steeper motor by parallel port how?

HI,
can anybody explain me about the digital controlled oscillator?
i would like to use as frequency generator from the parallel port to the driver.

thanks in advance for the help.

ic for controlling parallel port voltage

Hi skalaxy
Yes that could be just what you need, you will still have to generate a fixed frequency clock from a timer, crystal oscillator/divider or similar and then divide its output by 'n' as described in this circuit:
**broken link removed**
74hc161 devices are fairly easy to obtain and are quite low priced, the circuit diagram actually shows 74160 devices but talks about 74161s, 74160s are BCD input, you want true binary inputs I think, so the 74161 will be the ones to use, they are directly pin compatible.
I have not analysed the circuit in detail but a quick look suggests it should work OK.
CD4059 would also work (in a different circuit) but these are very expensive and quite difficult to obtain in small quantities.

I hope this helps.
Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back