Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

controlling 5phase stepper motor using parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

skalaxy

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stepper motor parallel port

Can anyone help me regarding with the 5phase stepper motor?
I have one PMM33BH2 5phase stepper motor but i m not sure whether it is a unipolar or bipolar.
So anybody help me check?
Also i need to build up one driver circuit for this PMM33BH2.
I have found out some driver IC SI-7510, PMM33BH2.
But all are really hard to find in the market.
Is there any other way that i can drive this motor?
This motor need 0.75A/phase.

thx for the help and advice.

how to use 5-phase stepping motor

skalaxy,

As the current is low, you can easily design a driver with simple mosfet.

Regards
Nandhu

skalaxy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
stepper motor program for parallel port

thx Nandhu.
but as i dont understand tat much abt mosfet, i would like to ask u sth.
how can i receive n transmit the pulse train from the parallel port to the motor?
am i only needed buffer ic or some other things?

thx u for ur reply.

parallel port stepper motor

thx ur post, trapoe. I m gonna use logic level MOS. now i got an idea on how to connect MOSFET to Motor. but the thing is how to connect to parallel port.

can i directly connect MOSFET to parallel port?

parallel port stepper

Logic Level MOS usually need around 5 V to conduct well so I have some suggestion:

1) check the voltage output of the parallel port. If the pc is quite old you can find TTL level or 3.5 V a logic high. This voltage could not be enough. If you have CMOS level (most probable) you'll find around 5V. By the way with UL2003 you don't have this problem, it works also with TTL levels.

2) connect a resistor, 10 to 15 kΩ, between G and S (ground) to be sure that with parallel port disconnected MOS will be off.

3) it's better you connect also a capacitor between G and S (ground). The capacitance could be 5-10 nF to avoid effect of stray capacitance (Cgd). This could lead to a longer switching time and more power dissipated in MOS. Check with oscilloscope and ... with finger.

4) don't forget free wheeling diodes for each winding.

5) I forgot: connect Gate directly to parallel port. And parallel port ground to Sources.

If this isn't clear I'll send a small drawing.

skalaxy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
step motor parallel port

thanks a bench trapoe.
how abt adding a voltage regulator for MOS since parallel port cant give stable 5volt?
if u dont mind can i request a small drawing?

5 v from parallel port

Motor data can be found on www.orientalmotor.com

You can find how to drive 5 phase steppers here:
https://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/types.html

If you read text you will find that 5 phase motors have to be driven with 1/2 H bridge for each terminal. SI-7510 can drive 5 high side and 5 low side mosfets so for your application is good IC. ULN2003 has only NPN transistors that can be used only on low side and in your application have no value.

You might want to read more about transistors and familiarize yourself how they work, what kind of transistors exist and how are they used as switches.

stepper driver parallel port

hi sinisa,

thx for ur post.
SI-7510 is not a common IC and its really very hard to find. although i spent 1 whole day to find SI-510 and PMM8714PT in the component stores, i couldn't find. so i m planning to use simple one. yet i couldn't decide either MOSFET or BJT should use. because the energizing sequence for the stepper motor is +, - and 0.

https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/80248/ETC/PMM8714PT.html

the data pin from the parallel port is only 8. i need 10 ports to send logic signal for 5phase motor. i m finding mosfet which one can connect directly with parallel port. until now i found one IRF610. but it cant connect with control port as i dont kno how much voltage is coming from the control port.

stepper motor mos

Sinisa is right.
I read 5 phase but in my mind I think at 5 wires, like the unipolar motor that I'm using. I'm very sorry.
You need 5 half bridges and it's easier to use an IC. Probably you can find replacement for SI-7510. Or you can use 5 independent half bridges in more than one IC.

parallel port stepper driver

thx for the posts.
i will try to read about the 1/2 bridge.
that's mean i could use H bridge for each phase?

stepeer motor cu port paralel

I never used 5 phase stepper motor but I hope this help.
You can use half bridge for each terminal. The easiest way could be an IC with one or more half bridge with TTL compatible input.

I don't find any electrical characteristic (voltage or resistance) of winding. If supply < 15 V a MOSFET driver could substitute an half bridge. Check absolute maximum ratings and add free wheeling diodes if necessary.

control stepper motor labview parallel

how much voltage and current can i get from parallel port?

5 phase stepper driver circuit

i still cant find the MOSFET/BJT for connecting directly to the parallel port.:cry:
coz parallel port can only give 2.6mA , 2.4V.
how can i find the appropriate components to connect directly to the parallel port and 5phase stepper motor?
stepper motor need 0.75A/phase.
is there any MOSFET/BJT which can give 1A output while their base or gate current is needed less than 2.6mA?
i m trying to catch up the theory for both MOSFET and BJT.
thx for the helps!

pmm33bh2 pdf

You need half bridge for every phase, not only MOS or bjt.
If you find right MOS this is only the beginning, you have to design (or find) MOS driver.

About parallel port: you have really 2.6 V, I mean you measure 2.6 V or you suppose your port has TTL ic inside ?

Did you tried to find MOS driver to substitute half bridge ?

5 phase step motor

i tried to find MOS driver, yet cant find.

5-phase stepper motor sequence

These days I don't have time to search deeply MOS driver for you. But just to show you what I mean I found this
https://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/product.do?id=MC33152PG
that seems a very common type.
It works with supply voltage till 20 V, I don't know if it's enough because you don't yet answered to my question, but I suppose it is.
It has TTL compatible input then no problem with 3.16 V.
It can source and sink 1.5 A. I would add a free wheeling diode (at least 1A) between output and ground. Better schottky type.
You have two drivers (half bridge) per package so you need three ic. You can ask for samples also.

labview parallel port stepper motor

I ve tested the parallel port using labview, it has -3.16V when i measure with multimeter.
I will try again and let u know by using LED and 479ohm to test current and voltage again.

type mosfet using for control motor stepper

If you want to go discrete, you have to build something like this...X5. For higher speeds it gets more complicated. Opto on input is not mandatory, but it is good idea to avoid problems and protect your computer. Values are calculated based on motor data, power supply and used parts. This is just to get you idea of what you can avoid if you go integrated. Factory driver board is usually best and most cost effective solution, there is no need to re-invent the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back