Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Construction of DC to DC converter (Boost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbklau

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I have some questions to ask over here and hope someone can guide me along. Thanks. I am now doing my Final Year Project and it is a topic on DC to DC converter. I had read some information and very puzzled on what are the values of the components require for it. There are inductor, capacitor and resistor(load). But how are we going to determine the value of those components and where should I start off? Appreciate your guidance.

you need to define some basic specs.

what is your input voltage
what is your output voltage
what is your power
what is your switching frequency

what DC/DC topology did you chose

defining the cap, inductor etc. is all related to the above.. so you need to conceptualize your converter first.. then add the details.

Mr.Cool

U really need the ripple requirements on output voltage & current to determine the minimum value of inductor & capacitor. The principle is that a) capacitor can eliminate the voltage ripple; b) can eliminate the current ripple.

Besides, the output voltage relies on the duty ratio of your switch (mosfet or BJT). So, u need to be clear what value of output voltage u want? and what value of input voltage u have?

All ur question and my above reply are just about the "main" circuit. U still need to take care of the "control" circuit, which is actually the most difficult one for ur project ......

Good luck, anyway.

hbklau said:
Hi all,
I have some questions to ask over here and hope someone can guide me along. Thanks. I am now doing my Final Year Project and it is a topic on DC to DC converter. I had read some information and very puzzled on what are the values of the components require for it. There are inductor, capacitor and resistor(load). But how are we going to determine the value of those components and where should I start off? Appreciate your guidance.

Hi,
thank you all for your advise. I will try it out on my own. Now having exam. Will fully focus on it after the exam. Thanks for the advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.