Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constraints for input and output ports at synthesis stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennis

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can you please share how do you decide the constraints for input and output ports. Usually it is 20-30% of clock periords but do we really require these constraints if you are doing the synthesis at the chip-level not in block level.

It is also depend on the application but if the design arcehitecture does not have those information then how would designer set those constraints.

Thanks

Even if you are doin a chip level synthesis, you will have external designs that interact with your design. Hence it is required to meet timing for this path ie.
reg of external design -> o/p pin of external design -> i/p pin of your design -> reg in your design.

The constraint values are determined from from previous design experience or rough estimations.

I am agree with you. This is what I was doing at the synsthesis level. I was setting 10% of clock period for input and output delay. Timing was passing in Prime-Time. But at the layout stage timing was failing and PD people asked me to justify this timing constraints. Finally I had to remove all my input/output delay constraints from SDC for final sign-off run. So even if you know these constraints are required , sometime you need to remove when you do not have any proper reason. How do you convince others if they do not agree with this :(.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back