Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Consistency between pss, hb, qpss et.al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

exp

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

In Cadence (spectre) I have created a simple passive, voltage mode mixer with a 50 Ohm port as input and output floating.

So simplify, I use a vcvs to decouple port from the mixer input and shunt the port with 50 Ohm for matching.

I then drive the LO with an ideal flo=1GHz square wave and set the port to sinusoidal, f1=1.1 GHz. The input amplitude is 50mV.

1.) qpss: I run qpss with the two tones 1G (Large) and 1.1G (moderate) and then plot the output of qpss_fd. The difference between fundamental (100M) and 3rd order harmonic (300M) is 104.6 dB ("HD3").

2.) qpss+qpac. For QPAC I evaluate at a second tone, f2=1.09G and then plot the IIP3 curve. It matches the result from 1.), IIP3=31dBm.

3.) pss: Similarly, I use the two tones 1G and 1.1G and the beat frequency auto-calculates to 100MHz. The shape of pss_fd looks qualitatively the same as qpss_fd. However the difference between 100M and 300M is now 91.91 dB; 13dB worse than with qpss!

4.) I also tried hb. The results are the same if I use 2 or 3 tones. Again, the spectrum hb_mt_fd looks qualitatively the same as the previous ones but the difference is now 94.43 dB. Still much worse than qpss but a bit better than 3dB better than pss.

I run all simulations with "conservative".

The differences are a bit too much for me to trust any of them.

Any ideas?
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back