Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting substrate to two different potentials in CMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbord39

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey all,

I am working on an analog to digital converter. The basic problem I am encountering is that in one portion of my circuit I need to operate on 0-3.3V (digital part) and in another portion (analog part) I need to operate on -3.3V to 3.3V.

Since the NMOS substrates are all tied together, I cannot do this directly.

I am assuming this is a common problem in CMOS so I figured I would ask if anyone could give me some suggestions.

My ideas to solve this problem are:
1. Use guard rings to isolate the NMOS substrates in my digital part from my analog part. My question here is what guard rings should I use (p-guard ring or N-guard ring) and what potential should I connect to the guard ring (0V or -3.3V...??).

Any help is appreciated,

John

a) what is your substrate (wafer) P or N. If P then your NMOS is probably not in separate NWELL and so guardring will not help.
b) draw a crossection and look for all the diodes in the structure - that will show you that guardring is not good.
c) best solution would be to keep all digital or analog NMOS devices in deep Nwell (or if you have trench even better). Possibly you could have some burried layer in your analog part and put all analog to separate island.

The substrate is P-type.

p-type analog (-3.3V) ||| n+ guard ring (+3.3V) ||| p-type digital (0V)
-3.3V --->|----- 3.3V -------|<----- 0V

It seems like even if the analog p-sub is connected to 0V and the digital p-type sub is connected to 0V that still they would be electrically isolated.

What am I missing?

-Thanks,

John

-EDIT:

Thinking about it I guess the P-type substrates would still be connected together underneath the n+ guard ring. So how do you make these islands you are talking about?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back