Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting ADC to FPGA CHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

roddyalan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fpga board with adc chip

Hi,

I have been given a really difficult proj for a newbie. I have to use a FPGA Chip and connect it to 4 comparators in input and 8 MOSFET drivers in output. (Spartan 3E)

(1) I am looking for info on how to read data from the comparator. Can I just connect the comparator output to FPGA and in ISE prog, ask it to read from that pin? The comparator is CMOS/TTL compliant, so I guess we have to use LVCMOS or LVTTL standards

(2) Can I just connect the output in a similar way

Please help
Regards
AR

(1) Your guess is correct.
You have to check on which bank your inputs will be connected.
Xilinx FPGA's have different banks (a number of I/O grouped together), and each of these banks can be supplied with a different power (for example 2.5V or 3.3V). Depending on the bank-supply, the input has to be set (within the ISE -> Floorplan I/O/PACE) to the correct type (voltage and logic type).
The same applies to the outputs.

(2) If the MOSFET drivers have a logic level input then you should not have any problem (provided that the bank supply is adequate).

roddyalan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.