Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting a FireWire PCIe card to GoPro?

kmd1984

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm completely new to electronics and I'm unsure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question. Nevertheless, I would like to understand the following:

I recently read that when you connect a camcorder to a firewire card, the firewire cable functions similarly to a USB cable by transferring data. However, I'm unsure if data and signal are the same thing. In this case, I'm curious to know who actually performs the data conversion: is it the PC or the firewire card? Considering the presence of various "chips" and components on a firewire card, I assume they play a role in this process. If the firewire card handles the conversion, would it be possible to create a small case with a PCIe slot and a battery, allowing us to "capture" the video signal from the PCIe slot?

With this setup, you could connect the PCIe slot to a GoPro and record the incoming video signal.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Thank you.

P.s. By "connect" I mean internally as a GoPro has no input jack.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: