Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting String to Number in JavaScript: Need Clarification and Code Example

Soham1087

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to convert a string to a number in JavaScript, but I'm encountering some unexpected results. While I've used functions like parseInt() and parseFloat(), I'm still confused about the behavior in certain cases. Could someone clarify the process of converting a string to a number and provide a code example?

Here's what I've tried so far:

JavaScript:
let stringNumber = "123";
let parsedInt = parseInt(stringNumber);
let parsedFloat = parseFloat(stringNumber);

console.log(typeof parsedInt, parsedInt); // Output: number 123
console.log(typeof parsedFloat, parsedFloat); // Output: number 123

However, when I encounter strings with non-numeric characters or decimal points, the results seem inconsistent:

Code:
let nonNumericString = "abc";
let stringWithDecimal = "45.67";

let parsedNonNumeric = parseInt(nonNumericString);
let parsedWithDecimal = parseInt(stringWithDecimal);

console.log(parsedNonNumeric); // Output: NaN
console.log(parsedWithDecimal); // Output: 45

Can someone explain why the conversion behaves this way and how I can reliably convert strings to numbers, even when dealing with non-numeric characters or decimals? I've searched on several websites, including this one, but I haven't yet come across a solution. I would appreciate a clear explanation and some code samples to show the proper procedures. I appreciate your assistance in advance!

I've looked on various websites, including this one, but I haven't found a solution yet. I would appreciate a clear explanation as well as some code samples to demonstrate the right methods. I appreciate your assistance in advance!

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: