Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Complete novice - needs help with controlling DC motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogberry

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

My youngest daughter and I were clearing up our garage and she said to me "can we make something daddy", so I said yes, of course.
I found an old hand-held drill and we set about taking the motor out of it etc...and turning it into a 'table top' go-cart for her doll.

Now, we started thinking about making a 'real life' sized one, but I know nothing about electric motors/electronics in general.

Would something like this:

[1st link below.]

be able to control something like this:

[2nd link below.]

?

I can see that they are both 12v, but it's the ampage that has me confused.

Obviously, I'd like to be able to control the speed on a dial - similar to the pot on the first link.

To start with however, I think she (and my other daughter) would just delight in being able to speed up and slow down a wheel (or a set of wheels like a train) by simply turning the knob.

I'd like to be able to run it as very slow speeds - like 10-15 rpm as well as speed it up.

If this is not possible with the items linked, could someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction with regards to controllers/motors?

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

First link:
**broken link removed**

Second link:
**broken link removed**

Maybe. There's no technical specifications given for the motor to make the determination. Some Linix motors that look like this need less than 15A and some need more. It's just a little suspicious that the seller didn't mention a model number or photograph the label.

PMDC Motor,China Linix Motor Manufacturer,Linix

Be careful with motors and kids, the motors can entangle hair, clothing, etc. powerfully enough to maim or kill.

Last edited:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

They do the controller in 15A and 30A, maybe I should take a chance on it.

I've emailed the seller asking for more info, but I might just chance it for the price.

Hi again,

I've been given a 24v, 100W DC Motor (MY6812) with a 12v battery.

I've been told that it came with 2 batteries on a mobility scooter, but one of the batteries had died. If I connect it up with the one 12 volt battery it runs very fast.

I'd like to be able to control the speed of this but haven't a clue how.

I wound about 10 meters of resistance wire around a block of wood, but it doesn't even conduct a charge.

What would I need to be able to control the speed (say down to 10 RPM)?

I found this:

**broken link removed**

Would this do the trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back