Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparison of ASIC with FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

yibai

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My boss told me to use FPGA instead of ASIC.And the ASIC has designed for some years ago. I don't know it is right or not what my boss talk to me

Re: ASIC VS FPGA

this topic has been discussed a number of times before and the discussions have lasted for months. so a little search will give you alot of information. it isnt that difficult, just click the link "search".

FPGA has short time to market.
ASIC is cost effective for large volumes.

ASIC VS FPGA

thanks

i think FPGA is better b'cos cost will be less and design time also will be less,more than that later U can change ur design easily

I believe your boss would have told you to implement it on the FPGA because he would have wanted the design to be verified the functionality ON-CHIP rather than sending it to the FAB and then verifying it.
Which is rather much risky and cost effective.

asics will be better if the volume produced is more.for small numbers fpga is cheaper.

ASIC VS FPGA

BOss is alway rght:)

Question is how sure your are you ASIC is "free of bugs" and if it not than FPGA gives you great flexibilty to change something on fly or even in the customer field, you can do it remotly without customer knowing about it. With ASIC you might end up with a lot's a small microcontrollers like PIC12C671 ariund your ASIC, and there is no way your customer will be happy if you do something like that.. Lead free ROHS some ASIC manufactories does not support that initiative yet, so migh have to wait or find out some body else, so it sound like loosing market share for the company, and pay cut and job lost, think again and again before going in to the ASIC.....
Unless it is analog ASIC and here it is totally different story

ASIC VS FPGA

it depends.
FPGA is good at prototying.
ASIC is fast and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back