Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CMOS basic question: saturated transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinamovist

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cmos saturation

I have a pretty basic question about CMOS devices. Let's say beside the well known equation what is the real meaning of the saturation condition ??
I know that the channel gets pinched but where it comes the condition from?( that Vds>Vgs-Vth).
I pretty much know all what that happens there and want to understand intuitively...
Like I really see what it happens in a bipolar transistor that gets saturated when the collector current cannot follow the β*Ib rule due to the limited collector potential.

Coming back to the mosfet saturation condition... Is that just mathematically deducted ? How do you guys see that and if we are to take an example from let's say fluids and pipes...can you light up the bulb for me ?
I hope I'm not bothering,
Thanks a lot

Added after 37 minutes:

Sorry, Just after I posted I saw this is not exactly the forum where I should ask this.
Is just my first contact with this discussion board that's why I've been confused

saturated transistor

you should refer to CMOS VLSI design 3rd edition by David Haaris and Neil Veste.

As far as i remember, saturation means the velocity of carriers is saturated.

I request other more knowledgeable members to throw some light

mosfet saturation condition

Thank you,

I'll take a look

deep saturation transistor

As Vds increases to be equal to Vgs-Vt, the inversion layer density at the drain end of the channel becomes zero and channel becomes pinch off. As Vds increases above Vgs-Vt the length of pinch off region increases and while that of inversion layer decreases (You must be knowing channel length modulation). The voltage applied across the inversion layer is always Vdsat=Vgs - Vt and hence the current saturates.

cmos basics vgs

Saturation condition for mosfets is the condiction when the number of minority charge carriers at the channel becomes equal to numbe of mejority charge carriers in deep substrate.

saturated equation of a cmos transisot

abhisheksbox said:
Saturation condition for mosfets is the condiction when the number of minority charge carriers at the channel becomes equal to numbe of mejority charge carriers in deep substrate.

Can you explain this in more detail?
I haven't heard anything like this before.

question for transistor

Animesh U can find the explanation of this concept in Razavi and also in any good device physics book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back