Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

clock generator and clock synthesizer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason_class

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All

Anyone can technically explain the differences between a clock
generator and clock synthesizer?

I want to do a project on clock generator using PLL. But I know almost
all the sources I found is PLL-based clock synthesizer.
Kindly share with me how to differentiate them
Thank you all

best rgds
Jason

clock synthesizer : usually synthesize high frequency clocks from a low frequency reference clock (Oscillator or X'tal).
clock generator: usually contain clock synthesizer and dividers which divide the high frequency clock from synthesizer to low frequency, such that all the low frequency clocks may have "synchronous" properties.
an example is
reference clock : 10MHz
output of systhesizer : 100MHz
outputs of clock generator: 50MHz, 25MHz, 33MHz, 20MHz

Term clock generator is used to describe circuit or generator generally. It can be fixed or adjustable.
Clock synthesizer is more a description of how clock signal is generated (by synthezis).

synthesizer should care about noise performance, but generator mostly do not care

Hi Btrend, Borber, Simov

Thank you very much for taking time to answer to my enquiry. I really appreciate it a lot.

It will be great if you can send any link to show the exact circuit of a clock generator and clock synthesizer, or at least their block diagram, so I can have a better picture to understand.

If you know any books, that has well explain their difference, please let me know which book and page.

Kindly help.
Thank you all

best rgds and thanks
Jason

Hello All

Anyone can help with my doubts.
Kindly give any comments
Thank you

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.