Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

clarification on I2C scl clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

altair_06

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,

I need a clarification on I2C scl clock.

When I2C device acts as slave will it need any internal refference clock or input scl clock alone is sufficient to sample the data ?

1.since I2C master has the capability of controlling the scl line (pull up the scl line)

2.onother case, slave is capable of pulling down scl line when it driving data Ack in that case it need a reference time period/clock so that time it can pull down the scl line for that perilod.

3. For above two cases when developing BFM's how do we take care of clock signals.

friends u can come up with what ever the your ideas

Thanks for your time

hi altair_06,

Slave can only drive SDA to low when it is busy, it can't make a response(send ACK).
Since the speed of I2C is too slow, we use a internal clock to sample the SCL and SDA signal to
detect the start/stop condition and also to sample the data from SDA.

Sincerely,
Jarod

altair_06 said:
Hi friends,

I need a clarification on I2C scl clock.

When I2C device acts as slave will it need any internal refference clock or input scl clock alone is sufficient to sample the data ?

1.since I2C master has the capability of controlling the scl line (pull up the scl line)

2.onother case, slave is capable of pulling down scl line when it driving data Ack in that case it need a reference time period/clock so that time it can pull down the scl line for that perilod.

3. For above two cases when developing BFM's how do we take care of clock signals.

friends u can come up with what ever the your ideas

Thanks for your time

The input scl clock alone is sufficient to sample the data. All the play of the data depends mainly on the SCL
As jarodz says, the slave pulls down the SCL line and it will so until it has finishd the task it made the master wait or we can employ a time-out clock to relieve the SCL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back