Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit to identify the voltage on the dc bus

aless2056

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys,

I have equipment that has a DC bus of around 800Vdc. How can I make a circuit to read the voltage value and when there is no voltage on the bus, activate a relay.

I thought about measuring the voltage on the dc bus with an op amp and then using a voltage comparator to activate the relay.

What would be your suggestions? Any examples?

Potential divider to bring the voltage to a manageable level and a comparator is all you need. A few resistors in series to handle the high voltage then one to ground to make the divider and a comparator will do the job, no need for an op-amp. Depending on the relay you might need a current booster (a transistor) to drive its coil.

Brian.

I failed to mention the purpose, which is for security. The relay contact would prevent the door from opening if there was still power on the dc bus.

Hi,

basically
* resistive voltage divider ( --> COMP)
* reference voltage (--> COMP)
* comparator (--> BJT)
* bjt (--> relay)
* relay

in detail you additionally need to
* define lowest level to activate the output
* define highest level to deactivate the output (bot combined give the hysteresis)
* timing
* expected noise level (to design a suitable filter)

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: