Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing process for 5.8Ghz fully integrated VCO

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkeppler

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm interested in designing an ASIC for a wireless data acquisition system that will operate at 5.8Ghz. I'm not sure how to determine which process to use for this design. Could someone suggest a few processes that would be a good choice for this design. I've read a couple of papers on 5.8Ghz VCO design and they used the 1P6M standard CMOS process. Are there any other processes that would work? Would any of the processes from MOSIS work for this design?

Also, could someone explain what I'm looking for in terms of material properties. Do I want a process that gives me a large gm or a small gm, what are the major factors in an IC that would lower the Q factor, what material properties play a significant role in adding HF parasitics?

Thanks,
Marc

0.18µm CMOS may suit for you.

u can use .35 BiCMOS tech
.18u is very good

khouly

Thanks khouly and wued. I'll give a .18u CMOS process at try.

Marc

you are sure the cmos .18 will be ok?

khouly said:
u can use .35 BiCMOS tech
.18u is very good

khouly

cmos 0.18u should be ok

BICMOS sure will give higher performance in contrast with high cost

so u have to chose

khouly

ask you another question, i want to simulater a inductor's L and Q ,

someone said inductor L=imag (-1/Y(1,2)/2/PI/freq(Hendry) Q=imag(-Y(1,2)/real(Y(1,2))

with to port. but i don't konw how to structure a simulating circuit and how to set up the parameters in this circuit,
can you give me some details about it ?

thanks!

khouly said:

so u have to chose

khouly

benever said:
ask you another question, i want to simulater a inductor's L and Q ,

someone said inductor L=imag (-1/Y(1,2)/2/PI/freq(Hendry) Q=imag(-Y(1,2)/real(Y(1,2))

with to port. but i don't konw how to structure a simulating circuit and how to set up the parameters in this circuit,
can you give me some details about it ?

thanks!

khouly said:

so u have to chose

khouly

connect the inductor in series with a current source , and use AC analysis to simulate the output between source and inductor , then using calculator in the simulator , Q=imag(Vout)/real(Vout)
L=imag(Vout)/(2*pi*xval(Vout)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back