Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Choices Of Op Amps for a Capacitor ESR Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin W. Byrne

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a question I need cleared up the right way. I have a Capacitor ESR Meter project and
it calls for a TL084 IC as a Op Amp. I have a number of TL074CN Ic's on hand. All my research says a TL074CN is used in audio applications. Will it work the same in this application at +4.5V
and -4.5V as I plan on a linear power supply instead of a 9V battery? What is the difference and how can it be used here? Thank you Kevin

Of the top of my head I would say its OK. However, you don't say what the original chip does, what its frequency range could be, how much output current it needs to supply. If you google the chip numbers you will find data sheets and you can compare them to see what the big differences are then ask us if these differences would be enough to stop it doing this. . . .
Frank

I have data sheets for the project. I will go back and upload the project file for all to view. Maybe someone will want to do one themselves. thank you Kevin

I'm pretty sure it is this esr meter :
**broken link removed**
don't worry it even works not bad with a 741 ! go with your tl074 ...

I have uploaded a schematic. There is frequencys but no talk of output current in 10 page pdf.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks close to being same design but that was a real quick look. I printed that pdf, bookmarked the site also. I will give it a go with a TL074CN if it is worth the effort as I have a number of them. Your advise is helpful and I thank you.
Best Kevin

Attachments

• ESR Meter.pdf.pdf#2.pdf
    305.7 KB · Views: 100

the poptronix seems to be the original one, all of them copied it ...
it IS the same design, go on with your tl074
but dont forget to find also the uA meter ... some evolutions of this design have implemented another type of display
but still have the same measurment base module.

Thank you for your input. I just had to be sure as I want to built this project for my workbench.

Status
Not open for further replies.