Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Check my 2.4 GHz patch antenna design

Status
Not open for further replies.

khouly

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
patch antenna design

i am designing a patch antenna array work around 2.4GHz
now i am designing the patch frist
i am usinG IE3d , in the manual they said to know the resonsce frequency chek s11 , to be around -40db
and some one told me , make sure that at this freuency zin is pure real

and this results , i got it , but the zin become also pure real around 2.1 GHz, and 2.7 GHz , but the real part is ver large

i want to know is my design is good or not
thanks

Re: patch antenna design

You will always have multiple responses from an antenna. There are two aspects that have to be correct in the design.

The first is the impedance it presents to the feed line over the range of operating frequencies. The -40 dB S11 is a very admirable goal, but -20 dB will work just as well.

The second aspect of the design is the radiating field pattern. Usually if your antenna is about a half wave across the antenna will radiate almost at all angles. In larger antennas the beam width and side lobe levels are important.

In the meantime I can study the array configuration, if u want, u can write down ok?

Regards
Lupin

another question
in my deisgn i am using duriod 5880 substrate , er=2.2 , and thickness is around 3.175 mm
but the patch dimenssions is large also the feeder is large too , and i need to minimize the area of the patch and also the array

i will design array . of 4 patches which is the best topolgy

Re: fix antenna design

Hi
If you need a compact antenna ,you can make the length side of fix is about labuta0/4 and it touched the ground panel.which could reduce the fix demission .
Regards
CAoCao
khouly said:
another question
in my deisgn i am using duriod 5880 substrate , er=2.2 , and thickness is around 3.175 mm
but the fix dimenssions is large also the feeder is large too , and i need to minimize the area of the fix and also the array

i will design array . of 4 patches which is the best topolgy

To make a compact single element antenna I can suggest to use slots..If u r interested in this solution , please ask me more.

For what concerns the array configuration,is it a 4 x 1 array? What about the spacing?

Wait for your news.

Regards
Lupin

the array will be 2x2
the spacing between elemnets about lamda/2

some one told me to shrink the patch size , use substarte with higher er and lower thickness
is this will work ,
i have read some about patch antenna design , and find that , this solution will decrease the antenna effeciency

i want to minmize the antenna , coz it will be used as antenna in mobile application
what do think ?

I think using U slot is better than using shorting pin to reduce the antenna size.

If u write the RF and mechanic requirements we can arrange something serious..otherwise I can just give u suggestions.
What weight constraints do u have? If er increases (a method to reduce the size), the weight will increase as well.. If u use the post u must be aware of radiated pattern simmetry...If u use slot to redue patch size u can have a Gain Antenna decrease.. What about the requested Gain of the array? Is your beam fixed or steerable? What requirements? In the design phase it's important to check all the performance before using a certain configuration.

Hope it can help
Lupin

i think the wight constrains is not very important , and my supervisior want the antenna , max gain and the most compact , the beam is fixed
and i want to design the antenna feed to be coplanner feed

i think the wight constrains is not very important , and my supervisior want the antenna , max gain and the most compact , the beam is fixed
and i want to design the antenna feed to be coplanner feed

If the weight is not so important, u can use a material with high er..If u want a planar feeding network .. (for me it's better under the patches), u have to make a spacing more than .5 lambda... let's say .75 lambda..
What frequency are u using?1.5 GHz? What about the polarization requested?
Tell me more.

Lupin

the frequency of operation is 2.4GHz
and , what about feeding the antenna , in the same layer of the patches
and i want to konw which is better from under the patches " apreture feed"
or in the same layer

I suggest u to avoid the coplanar feeding network for many reasons u can easily find on every patch antenna design handbook.. U r not oblgied to use the aperture coupling.. it depends on the bandwidth u need and the Polarization... RHCP I supposed.. isn't it? Confirm these points and I can be more precise.

Regards
Lupin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back