Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

changing the frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

saikrish

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to convert a voltage signal at a high frequency of 1Mhz or so to a low frequency of 50hz???
**The amplitude of the voltage wave should remain almost the same..
thanks in advance
also plz mention the numbers of the chips if any.

Dear saikrish
Hi
I think , you want , a simple frequency divider ?! if yes , is it important the out put waveform to you ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

You want to change voltage to frequency or you want a frequency divider from 1MHz down to 50Hz ? The input frquency wave form is of what type and which wave form you prefer on output?

Welcome saikrish! :smile:

What you want is a counter: each clock period counter value increases with 1. With a binary counter, the lowest significant counter bit toggles between 0 and 1 at half the frequency you input as clock. Next bit at 1/4th of input frequency, next bit at 1/8th of input frequency, and so on. For example see the timing diagram on this page.

For example with CMOS 4040 type: if you input 1 MHz clock signal, Q1 would output 500 kHz square wave, Q2 would output 250 kHz, etc.

You could use a decade (decimal) counter for 10:1 frequency division. There's many counter types around, to find, check these lists on Wikipedia:

List of 4000 series integrated circuits
List of 7400 series integrated circuits

And check individual datasheets to see if they suit your needs.

Hi
I'm designing a square loop for carrier recovery,it use a pll,output of pll is a signal with 2fc and i want to divide this frequency to fc ,i would appreciate if anybody can help me with matlab code.
Zardosht

I guess addition of multiple counters in a series would serve the purpose also !!

Status
Not open for further replies.