Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Change language (culture) during runtime (C#)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexxx

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I would like to create a multilanguage project in C#. I created a test project for that, with a simple form that contains just one button. I want the button to have an english text on it when english language is selected, and a greek text when greek language is selected. After I changed the "Localizable" property to true, I selected the two languages and two resource files were created, one for each language.

What I accomplished so far, is to change the language before initialization:

Code:
public Form1()
{
  Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = new System.Globalization.CultureInfo("en-US");
  //Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = new System.Globalization.CultureInfo("el-GR"); 

InitializeComponent();
}

What I want to do is change the language during runtime, when button is pressed:

Code:
private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
  //Code for language change should be placed here
}

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Thank you bassa!

Too many messy and complicated solutions I found during my search, but yours was exactly what I needed, simple and short.

I still have a problem though. With this solution all controls changed when resources are applied. But what about MenuStrip, ToolStrip and ContextMenuStrip? I added all those three on the form, but they don't change with the new resources implementation. In resources window I see all the resources for these items, but they do not change. So what I need is (following bassa's reference):

Code:
private void ChangeLanguage(string lang)
{
  foreach (Control c in this.Controls)
  {
    ComponentResourceManager resources = new ComponentResourceManager(typeof(Form1));
    resources.ApplyResources(c, c.Name, new CultureInfo(lang));
  }

//I need some code in here to apply resources to menuStrip1, toolStrip1 and contextMenuStrip1 as well
}

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

I added the bold part in the ChangeLanguage() routine:

Code:
private void ChangeLanguage(string lang)
{
  foreach (Control c in this.Controls)
  {
    ComponentResourceManager resources = new ComponentResourceManager(typeof(Form1));
    resources.ApplyResources(c, c.Name, new CultureInfo(lang));
  }

[B]  
ComponentResourceManager resourcesss = new ComponentResourceManager(typeof(Form1));
CultureInfo cult = new CultureInfo(lang);

foreach (ToolStripItem m in menuStrip1.Items) //menu.Items)
  {
    string text = resourcesss.GetString(m.Name + ".Text", cult);
    if (text != null)
    {
      m.Text = text;
    }
  }

foreach (ToolStripItem co in contextMenuStrip1.Items) //menu.Items)
  {
    string text = resourcesss.GetString(co.Name + ".Text", cult);
    if (text != null)
    {
      co.Text = text;
    }
  }

foreach (ToolStripItem t in toolStrip1.Items) //menu.Items)
  {
    string text = resourcesss.GetString(t.Name + ".Text", cult);
    if (text != null)
    {
        t.Text = text;
    }
  }[/B]
}

c# - How to change language at runtime without layout troubles - Stack Overflow

Now toolStrip1, menuStrip1 and contextMenuStrip1 are changing but not their submenus as well. I guess this is the last part I will have to work on. But if someone knows the way, it would be great to share it.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back