Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CGH40010F transistor mounting on heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mabrok

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Regarding CGH40010F transistor provided by cree company to be used in PCB fabrication of RF power amplifier. Is it compulsory to use indium foil as a thermal interface? How if i use heat sink with thermal tape (included) like one in the attached link, where this thermal tape can be used as an alternative for indium foil? OR even placing the transistor directly to a heat sink? Please advice as this is my first time use this type of transistor and i am worry about device overheating and damages through the measurements. Thank you.

https://www.digikey.my/product-deta...ogy/TG-CJ-LI-12-12-10-PF/1168-2129-ND/5885788

Thermal tape is insulating and thus not suitable for this transistor type that requires electrical interface to the heatsink. Direct mount with thermal paste should work.

Mabrok

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thermal tape is insulating and thus not suitable for this transistor type that requires electrical interface to the heatsink. Direct mount with thermal paste should work.
Thanks for your response. Any recommendation about the type of heatsink to be used? Also, the heatsink will be used only under transistor, not for the whole PCB, Am I right?

Thanks for your response. Any recommendation about the type of heatsink to be used? Also, the heatsink will be used only under transistor, not for the whole PCB, Am I right?
This transistor must be screwed directly to the base metallic plate at the same time its heat-sink.
Refer to app. note of Wolfspeed..
There must also be a slot between Input Stage and Output Stage so the transistor may be inserted and screwed between these two..

Status
Not open for further replies.