Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor vs ferrite bead

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandi

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I don't quite understand what is better in ferrite bead comapring to capacitor when it comes to suppressing the noise of a high frequency.
If I want to reduce the noise in the circuit then I can simply add a capacitor between signal net and ground.
I could use a ferrite bead for this as well - but what would I get addiitonally in this case?
Thanks,
Daniel

Ferrite beads are used to prevent interference in from or to a device. Ferrite beads are connected in series, whereas the capacitors are connected in parallel.

Ferrite beads suppress high frequency noise. Ferrite beads are used to reduce EMI or RFI.

The ferrite bead prevents the cable from acting as an antenna and receiving interference from other devices that are sources of interference, such as household appliances.

Thank you,
I've got the point
:)

A ferrire bead acts in series with a signal path by adding inductance. The resulting increase in impedance can attenuate unwanted signals.

A capacitor acts in parallel with the signal path. The decreased impedance can attenuate .... etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.