Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor explode!! HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

y6n1212

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys!! I'm connecting my new handmade transformer to the load side of an full bridge inverter. But suddenly the capacitor at the lower side of voltage divider explode and the smell is so bad!!

I did not change any input voltage or anything. i just make a new transformer which has higher amp rating.
Could transformer short circuit at primary winding and make capacitor short circuit and then explode?

Hi guys!! I'm connecting my new handmade transformer to the load side of an full bridge inverter. But suddenly the capacitor at the lower side of voltage divider explode and the smell is so bad!!

I did not change any input voltage or anything. i just make a new transformer which has higher amp rating.
Could transformer short circuit at primary winding and make capacitor short circuit and then explode?
Diagram !!! like this ?
https://www.google.co.il/#hl=iw&sit....,cf.osb&fp=5354e1047c15692a&biw=1280&bih=823

Attachments

• half bridge.png
    half bridge.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 58
  • blowncap.jpg
    blowncap.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 55

Capacitors can fail if the ripple current is too high or the voltage is too high or reversed. It is also a good idea to choose capacitors with a low ESR.

It looks like one of those capacitors leaked and the other is just swollen. You are lucky. Capacitors can really explode with a loud bang and shoot the whole metal can off like a bullet. Be careful not to have a capacitor aiming at you when you are testing or you may get injured.

Capacitors can fail if the ripple current is too high or the voltage is too high or reversed. It is also a good idea to choose capacitors with a low ESR.

It looks like one of those capacitors leaked and the other is just swollen. You are lucky. Capacitors can really explode with a loud bang and shoot the whole metal can off like a bullet. Be careful not to have a capacitor aiming at you when you are testing or you may get injured.

Can i understand more about what is meant by ripple current which can fail capacitors?

"Could transformer short circuit at primary winding and make capacitor short circuit and then explode?" If you have 4000 turns on the 230 V side and 400 on the secondary side, this would give you 23V on the secondary. If you had a short on the primary side, there might be , say 2000 turns carrying the current, the volts on the secondary side would now be 46V.
Frank

Dear Frank
Hi
I think That is kind of SMPS in half bridge arrangement . so it's transformer is high frequency and naturally i don't think it's turn numbers are as high as 4000 turn or even 400 turn .
Isn't it ?
Best Regards
Goldsmith

---------- Post added at 01:29 ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 ----------

And to the author of this thread :
Hi
I think the permeability of your core wasn't the same with the original core . isn't it ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Last edited:

Dear Frank
Hi
I think That is kind of SMPS in half bridge arrangement . so it's transformer is high frequency and naturally i don't think it's turn numbers are as high as 4000 turn or even 400 turn .
Isn't it ?
Best Regards
Goldsmith

---------- Post added at 01:29 ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 ----------

And to the author of this thread :
Hi
I think the permeability of your core wasn't the same with the original core . isn't it ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

i did not change my core actually. i only twisted more conductor for each winding so it have higher amp rating.

GOOGLE "SINGLE PHASE half bridge inverter" AND download the first pdf file read every thing about your circuit.
any way how r u trying to make such complicated circuit not knowing what ripple is ???
next u should read about lenz law saying the capacitor voltage value should be 3 times the total dc voltage and the cap value in uf depends on freq switching
read this link about inductors how they work....http://williamson-labs.com/
and more what kind of core u have what is your output..ac/dc current/ voltage now ..what do u want from it next ?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back