Not open for further replies.

jayleung

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ceramic bypass capacitor

I have a simply question. For DC power supply, can the general 0402/0603 ceramic capacitor be used for bypass capacitor?

Thanks.

bypass cap ceramic

i think so, but lets know more answers form the other members of this forum

thanks

jayleung

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
affect price capacitor

In general, yes. I know some guys that use a standard 0.1 uF all the way to 35 GHz. However, it is a specific type from the same vendor that they know is good. Some capacitors will resonate at microwave frequencies, and you want to know that. So test a couple sammples of a cap you like, and if they work, keep using that SAME one for future designs.

jayleung

bypass capacitor at 35 mhz

good answer!

Just another simple question, I found that even the same size, same capacitance, same series capacitor, the voltage rating does not affect the unit price?

Does it mean that I should use the highest voltage rating? What is the trade-off of it?

ceramic capacitor rating

Does it mean that I should use the highest voltage rating? What is the trade-off of it?
None, except size or (possibly) price. In addition, you should consider that effective capacitance of high Er dielectrica decreases with applied voltage, so it's a good idea to use bypass caps below 0.5 of rated voltage, if possible.

jayleung

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…