Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can increase in power factor of load give energy saving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmreina

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to increase power factor

I would just like to ask how the magnitude of current affect the kW-hr meter reading?

Given this scenario, increasing the power factor of a certain load (for example, 40-watt fluorescent lamp with initial power factor of about 0.40 lagging) to 0.90 lagging, how can this increase of power factor affect the power of the certain load, were in fact, only the apparent power and the current drawn are decreased, but the true power is still maintained?

Can increase of the power factor of the 40-watt lamp, for example, give energy-saving based on kw-hr meter reading? or can this increase in power factor of the load decrease kw-hr meter reading? IF YES, how can this be related?

Thank you!

increase power factor

jmreina,
Increasing the power factor of a load does not change the KWH meter reading. However, it does decrease wasted energy because the current in the power grid is decreased. In the US, commercial (not residential) customers pay a power factor penalty for lower power factors as an incentive for commercial customers to increase the PF of their loads.
Regards,
Kral

power factor energy saver

Good evening Mr. Kral:

Thank you for the help..

I would just to ask for a follow-up question:

If the load(let's say 69 KW) with increased power factor of 0.95 from an initial power factor of 0.40, is connected to the system combined with other loads...

Can this increase of power factor help decrease the KW reading of the total system? It is noted that the rest of the loads are maintained, only the 69 KW load is modified..

The decrease of current drawn by this load affects the total line current..

Then reading of the wattmeter is equal to (SQRT(3)*LINE VOLTAGE*TOTAL LINE CURRENT*OVER-ALL POWERFACTOR..

HELP ME SHOW HOW CAN THIS POWER FACTOR CORRECTION HELP THE COMPANY SAVES NOT ONLY ENERGY BUT AS WELL AS MONEY.. PLEASE...

thank you so much!

good and bad power factor readings

jmreina,
Yes, increasing the PF of an individual load will increase the PF of the whole system. You can demonstrate this by adding up the in-phase current components (I cos Theta) and then adding up the 90 deg components (I sin Theta). Then draw a vector diagram of the 2 components. You will see that the phase shift of the systems with and without the PF correction of a single load are different.
Regarding the savings to the power company, the vector diagram will show that the total current (vector sum) for the system with the PF correction is higher, due to the increased 90 degree component, even though the 0 degree components are the same. This means that the total current supplied by the power company is greater. The generator size required by the power company is determined by the current output, not the real power. An extreme example would be a case where the load was purely capacitive (PF = 0). The generator would still have to produce current, even though the load power was zero.
Regards,
Kral

power factor correction energy savings

Can this increase of power factor help decrease the KW reading of the total system?
Possibly not. Most of the additional losses due to reactive power consumption are located in front of the power meter, in the overland lines and transformers. In case of electronical PFC circuits, the KW reading may be even slightly higher. So if you're not forced by legal regulations to increase the PF or explicitely charged for bad PF, the individual economical motivation may be questionable.

how do i use a meter to measure a power factor! what are the steps involved!

---------- Post added at 05:48 ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 ----------

when a power factor is improved, the true power is not affacted, it only affects the apparent power by lowering its value- reducing the inductive capacity of the load.

You could do with a power analyser. They tend to measure it all for you. Ideally the power factor would be 1.0 both volts and current are in sync.

of course, increase in power factor decreases the current consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back