Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use the LM317 to control output power of my 100W SMPS (12Vdc, 8.5A)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrie_20

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can i use the LM317 to control output power of my 100W SMPS (12Vdc, 8.5A)?

LM317

control the output power??

you can adjust the voltage, provided the current which you are going to draw is well within the chips capability, and I am sure that wont be 8.5A

Re: LM317

you can't use LM317 for your application since the output power current range of LM317 max is only 1.5A please check the data sheet. internal architecture of regulator not allow to increase the current behind 1.5A.so better you choose some other power regulator

david_samtel said:
you can't use LM317 for your application since the output power current range of LM317 max is only 1.5A

the thread starter has not mentioned whether he needs more than 1.5A at the output.

andrie_20 said:
can i use the LM317 to control output power of my 100W SMPS (12Vdc, 8.5A)?
You may use LM317 TO3 package. But you need to confirm that to regulate the device will require a 3volts margin voltage. Mean if you need 12 volts, the device should be supplied with 15 volts minimum. Too the capacity of TO3 package is 3 amps maximum. If you need more power, you may use a current boost circuit mentioned in the datasheet of LM317. Cheers

i used lm317 as to create a 3.3V output... but instead of having 3.3V output it created a more or less 1.2V output. I'm pretty sure that i used the right value for r1(240ohms) and r2(400ohms). my input voltage is 12V. I tried to change the value of the resistor, still the output is 1..2V. what might be the problem?

LM317

if you are use LM317 for only to control the switching wavwform, it is usable.
But if you want 8.5 A from the LM317, don't imagine it because it's max rate of current is 1.5A...

LM317

you have choosed switching power.

Dear freind,

LM317 is used to control the total o/p current, but you cant take 8.5A from the LM317.
LM317 is used here in control circuit of the SMPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back