Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can HFSS 9 simulate the Eigenmode of a resonator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhul3

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss9

Hi all,

Need to know the resonate frequency, but cannot find the "Eigenmode" in the list of "report type", where it only has "Model S parameters" and "field".

Is it because my hfss version is too low? or I haven't set it properly?

If it is the version problem, is there any other way to simulate the resonate frequency?

Thanks.

Lee

can be the same

zhul3 said:
Hi all,

Need to know the resonate frequency, but cannot find the "Eigenmode" in the list of "report type", where it only has "Model S parameters" and "field".

Is it because my hfss version is too low? or I haven't set it properly?

If it is the version problem, is there any other way to simulate the resonate frequency?

Thanks.

Lee

you should select "eigenmode" from "solution type", not "report type". I remember hfss v9.0 had eigenmode solver.

zhul3

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hfss solution type eigenmode

thank you, I know how to do it now. but I have another question about the eigenmode:

In the setup window, you can fill "Number of modes". I tried 1,2,3,4,5, one for each time, and found out the calculated frequencies are all different....

I think the resonator should have infinite resonation mode, but at least the first few should be the same by calculating different mode number?

I know the equation for coupling coefficient is 2(f1-f2)/(F1+f2), so I should only set the mode number as 2?

Confused now and please help me.....

Added after 20 minutes:

somehow, I figured it out,

if simulation one resonator, use 1 mode
..................two resonator, use 2 modes

Am I correct?

thanks.

simulating modes of resonator

What do you mean by " but at least the first few should be the same by calculating different mode number? ?
Modes can not be the same unless tou have a symmetric resonator where the frequencies of some of the modes can be the same but the feeling of the fields that they describe wont be the same.
In order to find the modes, you should design the structure select eigenmode solver and then put a low frequency compared to the expected one for your modes.Then as for the number of the modes it depends on how many you want to examine so you can ask hfss to give you the first 2 3 4 ...10 modes. Look at their frequencies,plot their fields and then you can realise if they are the "same" or not. In addition before doing all these things you can use theoritical formulas to compute the frequencies that you expect to have..this could be a good test for yout simulation.

hfss9 fullbook

Refer to hfss full book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back